Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. Sad news this morning when I woke up and found my rat, Krysa, dead in his bed.My other rat, Cholo, was left to examine the body and realise what has happened. However, now that Krysa has been taken away, I have a question.Should I buy, or adopt, another rat straight away to keep him company, or wait?He's almost 2 and seems very gentle, but he's lived with Krysa all his life.Any answer is much appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
775 Posts
If you plan on having more rats, I would get two baby boys and intro them to him. That way, when he passes away, the other two will not be alone.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss. I would definitely do what Korra has suggested in getting him a new companion and introducing them to each other. Old male rats can do quite well with the bouncier young ones. If he's super chill, he may be easier to introduce to, but you never really know. There are some great posts about introductions in the behavior section of this form.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Firstly sorry for your loss. Second I agree with Korra. Third you can wait and just make sure to give cholo lots of attention and treats.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You could also look into getting an older male around the same age as your remaining rat, if you'd rather not get young ones. :) You can check around for rescues/shelters with rats. If you're in the US Craig's List is a great place to find unwanted adult rats (and sometimes young rats).

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry for your loss, its deffiently a terrifying moment when you realize, and you know it was sudden and unexpected. I had a boy of mine pass not long ago, luckily I had another boy to keep my grieving boy company. I think it deffinetly helped him and hes been pretty happy with his other brother. Its hard for pack animals to suddenly not have companionship, so I would recommend another, or two.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all so much for your input. I think I will get two younger males. My circumstances won't be changing in the next 3 years, so I know I won't have to give them up. Thanks again for your knowledge and kind words. Cholo says thanks too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts