Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello last night I gave my three ratties baths. I noted that one of my girls was covered in tiny scabs! I have never caught them fighting but have heard them squeeling a bit.
ere a. When I try to see who is fighting they have stopped by the time I get to the cage.
Both my sisters have cuts but my other girl has really none. Do you think the sisters are the ones fighting? Or perhaps my fatty rat "baby" is the stinker in the group?
I am really concerned with my one rat "sweety" as she has SO many small cuts. They were not noticeable until I bathed her. I hate to have to seperate but I am concerned with all the scabs on my poor "sweety"!
Thanks for any advice .. cindy :cry:

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Sounds like your rats have mites (microscopic parasites) which is very common. Lots of little scabs is one of the major signs of them. You need to pick up Revolution from your vet and put one drop on the back of their necks and you're done, or pick up oral Ivermectin paste and give each rat a small piece the size of an uncooked grain of rice, once a week for 3 weeks and after each dose you need to scrub down your cage, the areas the play in, freeze all your bedding (paper and wood products), wash hammocks, etc.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Liz,
Can I buy the revolution for puppies online? I see a site out of canada that sells it to usa. I am assuming the puppy/dog up to 5 lbs. would be the best bet? Even if it wasnt mites, and cant hurt them right??
thanks Liz, Cindy

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
That's the one I think it's labeled for puppies and kittens. It won't hurt if you don't have mites.

Some rats seem to be more suscuptible than others. If you've ever had fleas with cats or dogs you've probably noticed one has more fleas than the other animals. It just happens for some reason. Perhaps she's not as good at cleaning herself to keep them at bay like the others, or they itch her more.

The wounds are more from her itching and biting at herself than from the mites themselves.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My boys are getting over a mite issue right now. I figure it came from the new hammock or the wild mice/whoknowswhat that's in the attic right now. (insert: me running in circles screaming like a little girl).

Only one showed symptoms really badly, but I'm sure they all have it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts