Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently I have noticed that Nibbles seems miserable any time he poops. He used to always poop in his wheel; he'd run on the wheel and poop while running, and then hop out as soon as he was done. Now he poops on the litter box. He settles in and spends a long time there, grimacing, chattering his teeth, and generally looking miserable the whole time.

It looks like one of his poops just now was particularly large; I picked it up (with latex gloves of course) and it doesn't feel unusually firm.

His diet is primarily Oxbow Regal Rat and hasn't changed in ages. I don't see any other signs of health issues and he seems to feel fine as soon as he finishes pooping. Could he be constipated? Eating too much? What should I watch out for?

·
Registered
149 Posts
I know when dogs and sugar gliders have poop issues like that, a bit of pumpkin (whole or the pie filling you buy in a can) can sometimes help.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I'd make sure he's drinking fine (check the water bottles) as dehydration can cause issues, also have a good feel around his stomach. A bit of pumpkin or a small amount of oil (or both lol) is good to help move things along

1 - 3 of 3 Posts