Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!
My baby girl Scabbers hasn't been acting herself lately. She's usually up into the top part of her house begging for treats all day, but for the past few days, she has rarely come out of her hammock in the bottom part. Even when we call her name, she won't come out.
Not only this, but she seems to have something wrong with her hands, specifically the right front paw. We took her out to check on her today, and gave her some food. She wouldn't grab the food with her hands, or grab any of the treats we gave her. Her foot seems a little swollen, but I can't really tell. She still occasionally washes herself with her hands, but not as often as she used to.
She also is making a bruxing noise when we bring her out. I read this is a happy sound, but she's never really made it before, so is this an issue?
Finally, her coat seems to be dirtier than usual. There's a bunch of like light brownish-red spots on her shoulder area that wasn't there a few days ago. She also has some light scabs on her spine.
We will have had her for 2 years in November, and I'm very worried about her. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Any advice and help is appreciated! Thank you all so much!

Registered
Hello everyone!
My baby girl Scabbers hasn't been acting herself lately. She's usually up into the top part of her house begging for treats all day, but for the past few days, she has rarely come out of her hammock in the bottom part. Even when we call her name, she won't come out.
Not only this, but she seems to have something wrong with her hands, specifically the right front paw. We took her out to check on her today, and gave her some food. She wouldn't grab the food with her hands, or grab any of the treats we gave her. Her foot seems a little swollen, but I can't really tell. She still occasionally washes herself with her hands, but not as often as she used to.
She also is making a bruxing noise when we bring her out. I read this is a happy sound, but she's never really made it before, so is this an issue?
Finally, her coat seems to be dirtier than usual. There's a bunch of like light brownish-red spots on her shoulder area that wasn't there a few days ago. She also has some light scabs on her spine.
We will have had her for 2 years in November, and I'm very worried about her. Does anyone know what could be wrong? Any advice and help is appreciated! Thank you all so much!
I wish could help! Good luck to your little girl 馃槩

Super Moderator
Have you taken her to the vet? Unfortunately these are bad signs, the bruxing is a sign of pain, they do it when they are experiencing strong emoitions which can be happy but also pain. I had a 2 year old rat who lost control of his hands then couldnt eat then was bruxing constantly, you could see he was in pain, his fur was bushed up, whiskers forward, he was not a happy ratty. It still breaks my heart thinking about it. I took him to the vet and she said he was in pain and needed putting to sleep. I miss that little guy a lot.

Registered
It's possible that she may have sprained her foot. She's getting to be old. And as for the scabbing is could be possible she has lice. I received an old rat once who had horrible scabbing and I found it was because of lice. I put Vaseline on the affected area for hours at a time each day to kill the lice and soften his wounds so he'd stop scratching at it. Check to see if she has lice. And maybe provide her with a hut and a lack of reason to climb. You don't want her using her paw. If she seems to get worse it may be best to put her down.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts