Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! Every so often we notice our little Lulu will stop, stand very still, lift one front paw and start swaying slightly back and forth. She looks like she's concentrating really hard on seeing or hearing something, but we just aren't sure. Our other rat, Zoot, doesn't exhibit this behavior, so we were wondering if anyone here might know what this might mean?

Thanks so much!!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello!

I would actually love to know what this means too. One of our rats, Chloe, who is an albino rat that was a feeder rat does this too. At first I was worried but I have seen several rats (all feeders unfortunately) show this behavior.

Is your little girl albino? I was wondering if maybe its because Chloe could be partially deaf and blind and linked to her recessive albino gene?

·
Registered
205 Posts
swaying is a very common behavior for rats with vision issues. It's most commonly seen in albinos. It's a way for them to focus on something better. Like squinting does for us.

·
Registered
72 Posts
swaying is a very common behavior for rats with vision issues. It's most commonly seen in albinos. It's a way for them to focus on something better. Like squinting does for us.

Although this isn't my post, thank you! I assumed it was to help them and I'm glad to know it is :)

·
Registered
953 Posts
We call Butter Ms Stevie Wonder all the time cause of this. :) I think her sight is really really really terrible. Anything new and she gets like a foot from it and then does the heavy sway.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I agree. It is simply their way of trying to see better if they have poor vision. This is most common in albinos, from what I hear. My rat Chai is the only one who does it.

When she hears me, she always perks up and does it. We call it the "lookie loo".

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey thanks all! I thought that's what it might be, she's a fawn hooded, so she's got the ruby eyes. I'd read about the swaying but seeing it in person it looks far more pronounced than I had originally thought. Thanks so much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts