Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My newer rat, Stone, does something peculiar every once and a while, I would say a couple times a week, do *I* notice this, but I am sure he does it when I am not around, which is a lot since I work full time, however my wife tells me she sees it sometimes as well.

He will basically go into this trance... like as if groggy, sometimes he will do this and then end up on his back, and he doesn't move a muscle when he gets on his back, as if in shock, with strange slower breathing... as in, normally you see the rat's breathing at a normal rate, rather quickly, but when he goes into these states, his breathing is slow, with each breath being a fast inhale and exhale, but at a much slower rate. He does this at strange times. I always thought the breathing thing went with fear or intimidation, however, when I pick him up or poke him when he is like this, he will resume normal behavior as if nothing is wrong. He also does this while standing, which is almost just as odd, to see a rat go from breathing normally, to basically in a state of extreme meditation, and then back again as if nothing happened.

Stone is a basically tame rat... but I am wondering if some of what I see are symptoms of... ratty seizure. The other rats are not sure what to do when he is on his back, one thinks Stone is in submission, and he will get on top as if he just won a wrestling match, and then be confused when Stone doesn't react with a return gesture. They also sometimes interpret his frigid stances as some weird intimidation thing (as in, the other rat will rise up as if to fight, and when Stone does not do anything, they seem confused).

I am sure I am reading way too far into these things, but this leads me to the question: How prevalent are seizures in rats? Would a rat with seizures be something that any rat owner would experience "eventually", or is it something very rare?

You can see where Stone gets his name, now that I have explained all of this. There are other weird little things that he does that the other's don't, but it all revolves around me assuming he is just... very docile.

I want to be clear that I am pretty sure he is not sick, I am not trying to be a rat hypochondriac... This is more of me being curious, but I wanted to know if any of you guys have actually had a rat with seizure disorder, and if so, what the experience like.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
narcolepsy ???

quick research does not show this to be a naturally occurring disorder in rats although someone has done a study on lab created narcoleptic rats

I really don't have an answer for you on this one.

If the rat is eating & is otherwise healthy in all other areas I don't know if ther e is anything you can do.

Consult your vet, see if they have reason for concern

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Does your Stone do this thing when other rats are nearby? Or when he's all by himself.

I had a timid girl who freezes when other rats come near and she falls over onto her back and freezes...she's basically saying "I give, I give!!" before the nasty stuff can happen. I also have another one I am desperately trying to find a nicer cagemate for.

Intro's did not go well with this old gal, and I soon removed her and found her a happier place to be.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
A1APassion said:
from the way she described the story.. it didn't seem like he was submitting to his cagemates
The description sounds like a super timid rat. They literally fall over on their backs and freeze. The breathe normally then do these big inhale/exhales, and stay frozen. Other rats find it confusing and will often try a half-hearted pin.

Kinda like a puppy rolls onto its back and presents its belly even before it needs to. I have seen this behaviour quite a few times now, so I just wanted to make sure we could rule out behavioural before getting into seizures and all it entails. :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
lilspaz68 said:
They literally fall over on their backs and freeze. The breathe normally then do these big inhale/exhales, and stay frozen. Other rats find it confusing and will often try a half-hearted pin.
This is basically what happens... the other rats will give a push as if they have won, and then are like WTF when nothing happens.

The breathing is slow, and he snaps out of it when something interrupts it.

Sometimes he does this standing up, sometimes he will just fall on his back like a... well... stone.

He may be super timid, but he isn't unhappy. That guy can fall asleep in your lap, he bruxes and boggles when you are petting him in your lap. He will occasionally move around to "fluff" his area and then settle back down for a little shuteye.

Certainly the most timid rat I have ever seen, that happens to be the largest of the bunch. It's almost funny in a way.

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
He is the bottom of the totem pole, your fella and is very aware of it. :roll:

he sounds fine. :) I am so glad its not seizures because that is a terrible thing to have to deal with. :(

1 - 8 of 8 Posts