Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two male rats recently got into a serious fight, one of them had so much bleeding he was fainting, and was put on a prescription by our emergency vet. I've separated the two rats into different cages, and I let them out at different intervals. Lately, I've noticed when I let one out, they run to their past cage mates cage and try to get in hyper actively, nuzzling each other through the cage bars. I don't know what to do, because it seems like they want to reunite but I'm afraid the next tangle could occur when I'm not home and be more serious. Any advice?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My advice would be very careful re-introductions. There are some good guides online on how to do it properly and safely if you do a search either on this forum or goosemoose. You have to pick neutral ground (somewhere neither of them visit very often). A lot of people choose the bathtub for this and it works well. It might seem like they want to interact in a positive way but you simply cannot take the risk of unsupervised play (like you said) because their last fight was more than just an accident. Are either of the boys neutered? How long were they housed together prior to the incident?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Neither of them are neutered, they've been housed together for well over eight months I would say. There was a previous incident where a small tip of tail was bitten off, but I thought because it has been sticking inside the cage while one was outside and the other was inside, he mistook it for a piece of food. The aggression in one of my rats has become extremely irritating, he bites me and the other rat, but I can't seem to figure out where this is coming from. I haven't changed my routine with them, but he just started testing me and I guess I disregarded it too much for play. I've tried a few techniques such as putting the rat back in the cage, holding him down and giving a firm no, and lightly blowing air (which really only provoked more anger) in his face. Every time he bites, it's enough to cause gushing blood, but he's not in a harmful situation, he comes to me and bites me or the other rat.

Sorry for the long paragraph, I just wanted you to understand the situation so maybe I can receive some info based on his behavior.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts