Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Hard to tell! I honestly think it's so much easier to sex them at 2 days old than at this age ;D Do you have other babies you definitely know the sex of you could compare to? Please don't take this as fact because I could be 100% wrong, but left maybe looks like girl, and right maybe looks like boy? Hard to see.. At about 4-5 weeks a boy's testicles usually drop (but not always!) and it's more obvious. If you're still not sure about gender, just be sure to separate them at 4-5 weeks old so they can't breed. Do you know how old they are now?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
How old are they?

Yeah when they hit the super fuzzball stage finding nipples seems almost impossible. I always tell people never to go by nipples alone lol

There is this window of time between when they get all super fuzzy and before the boys drop their testicles that is harder to tell.

I sex mine at day 2 & then after they get distinguishing marks, but if they all look the same then I have to keep checking lol

I wanna say the left is probably a girl but I am not sure enough to say the one on the right. Alittle more time and u will see the boys for sure.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Just be super cautious since they're maybe a mixed sex pair. The boy's testicles might not drop "on time", so if you're still unsure by the time they're 4 1/2-5weeks old, keep them seperated until it becomes more obvious, and for sure post more pictures here when they're maybe a week older and it might be easier to tell.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts