1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The suspects in last night's mischief and mayhem:

New little girl, Juniper, about eight to nine weeks:

Ahmi-the-nearly-impossible-to-photograph-girl:

She usually pulls this, when the camera comes out, and there's any opportunity for missing the photo op--

Ara, the hair-challenged girl:

Choosing her weapon (you will understand, when you read story below!):

Fast friends already, Ahmi and Juniper:

Okay, so Juniper, who successfully completed her round of Doxy, and quarantine, and intros with my older girls, is now in the big cage with them.

Things were going great, really. Superduper great.

Almost too good to be true, in fact.

Ahmi and Juniper, as seen above, took to each other nearly immediately, wrestling like puppies and sharing food amicably. Ahmi is my grumpier girl, in general, and very jealous of her creature comforts, so I was happily surprised.

Ara, OTOH, I thought would accept her easily, as she's more open to change, bolder, and not as skittish in general.

Pffft. She was nice to the new baby, but not overly happy about it--and went around with a rather put-upon air of someone whose dignity has been affronted.

So, last night, I was giving them their wet/fresh foods, in a large shallow communal bowl, supervising to make sure nobody got their widdle rat feelers hurt and nobody felt crowded or deprived.

Ahmi and Juniper came running, and dove in enthusiastically, sharing side-by-side, and eating with gusto.

Ara came running as well, saw Juniper at the bowl, skidded to a halt and backed off. She then made several more approaches, as if new angles would suddenly make the third wheel disappear, magically. <eyeroll>

Finally, she ran upstairs, to the top level shelf of the DCN, and did a reconnaissance lap around the shelf, with an air of hatching a plan.

She then picked up a toy jack I'd given them to play with (like we had when we were kids), and carried it to the very edge of the shelf, overlooking the fresh foods bowl.

Ara shifted around, gauged her distance and aim, and...PLONK! She dropped that jack right exactly on top of Juniper's head!

Who, me? I swear I have an alibi!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Oh my goodness, that is a beautiful group of little ladies. Ara has to be the cutest double rex I've ever seen!

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The girls say "thanks" for the compliments, kksrats.

Sarah424--yup, even when I first laid eyes on little Ara, in all her sad circumstances, there was a naughty spirit in her eyes that just hadn't been tamped all the way out, thank goodness. She keeps me giggling.

I'm not sure Juniper thought it was quite as funny, although after a couple minutes, she started playing with the jack, so...lemonade out of lemons, for her I guess ;D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Kks--in the party favors section of the local Michael's, and they are hard plastic. Very lightweight, thankfully, for the sake of Juniper's head ;D

Malarz--that's my base home mix--it has red lentils, split green peas, wheat berries, spelt, barley, rye, brown and wild rice, steel cut oats, flax seed, sunflower seeds, raw pumpkin seeds, soy nuts, and then I mix in a high quality dog kibble and some Oxbow Regal Rat. The girls seem to think it's pretty tasty. I haven't tried it myself...way too healthy!

·
Registered
270 Posts
Haha we give all healthy foods for our pets but not for ourselves, sounds familiar. Are those peas and cereals boiled or raw?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haha we give all healthy foods for our pets but not for ourselves, sounds familiar. Are those peas and cereals boiled or raw?
The soy nuts and sunflower seeds are toasted (but obviously unsalted). Everything else is raw.

And, considering my "protein" for my non-lunch non-break today was a SlimJim...uh, yeah.:eek:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts