Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I are going away for about 13 days over Christmas and New Years. As we're flying to Hawaii, we can't take our little ones with us, and we'll need to arrange a sitter. This wasn't too hard when we had a hamster, because they don't seem to mind not being handled as long as they are clean and fed. However, my furkids LOVE to be out, and want to be petted all the time.

I have a colleague here who is a vet tech, and knows about rats, and who has lab assistants for the animal behavior lab at the University (where I got my sweet boys). I know that the kids would be safe, well fed, cleaned, and chatted two. However, the lab assistants are trained to pick the rats up by the tail, and aren't accustomed to PET rats.

I will be taking them to a new vet later this month for a check-up, and wonder how people feel about boarding rats at a vets (assuming they do this).

We got the kids after we'd planned the Christmas trip, and I forgot how "psycho parents" we can get when we have to leave the care of our little ones to someone else.

Are any rescues or owners in the Northern NY or southern Ontario area who might be willing to sit? We're about 4 hours from Toronto, ON, and from Rochester, NY. About 2 hours from Watertown, NY, 3 from Syracuse, & 90 minutes form Ottawa, ON.

Any advice or suggestions would be very appreciated. :)

Hee hee... feel like we need a Ratsitter's Club. :)

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I've been forced to leave my rats for 2 weeks before, with only a neighbour coming in to give them a fuss twice a day. They were fine, but made the most out of their 'you evil human, give me lots of treats and i'll forgive you' looks when I got home.

Do the vets handle them if you board them there?

·
Registered
549 Posts
I know theres a rescue in Rochester (Ratzo Rescue) that boards but I'd be careful about doing that. They get new rats all the time and I cant imagine there is any type of quarentine, especially if they take in multiple boarders.

My boyfriend and I live in Syracuse, PM me if you can't find anything better :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update: Will be receiving a new larger wire cage this weekend. So the ratties will need less cleaning out I hope). Right now I am doing a full change and wipe every night, and some spot checks in the morning. I can't expect that someone else will be as diligent.

I have a small pool of undergraduates who are working as lab assistants at the University who will be here over the Christmas break and are willing to come to my house to look in on my ratties. I'm still hesitant about that. They may know about caring for Lab Rats, and do so very well and very conscientiously, but these are my BABIES! :)

So: If any of you have arranged rat sitters who are rat-familiar, what instructions etc do you suggest I leave for them?

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Feeding schedules
General info on likes/dislikes (with treats)
Cleaning rota
Play time - if they get them out, where and where can't they play
Contact numbers incl. vets

(I also do a 'pic' page and a mini med-bio (in case of emergencies) - but I'm just weird XD)

I also arrange with my vets that should any emergency's happen - they will wait until your home to collect payment.

Uhhhhh, that's all I can think of for now lol

·
Registered
421 Posts
I know its obvious, but you can never over stress the importance of fresh clean water. When i have left my furkids thats the first and last thing i tell the rattie sitter about. I know not everyone is going to be as anal about cleaing the cage or giving them as much attention, lovies, and kissies as we do, but THEY have to remember the water. sometimes its the little yet obvious things, some ppl can forget.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts