Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so does anyone have any special techniques on how to keep the smell of rat cage away... i was told once to use a small layer of baking soda at the bottom of the cage but that was back when i was using a bedding ((wich i might move back onto)) but im not using badding now, i use clothes and idk if thats safe to use still.. enyone else have any ideas???

((((((((if theres already another convo about this somewere else sorry i didnt know))))))))

·
Registered
997 Posts
Either the cage is absorbing the urine, or you need to wash and replace the cloth bedding more often. May also be you not wiping down the cage itself.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Im using towels and every 2 days they are being changed. Along with that I'm teaching my boys to use a cornor potty box. It shouldnt smell at all if your keeping the cage clean everyday. Like Vixie said "May also be you not wiping down the cage itself."

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
yeah, it doesn't smell at all if you clean the poops out everyday, spot clean the plastic surfaces with baby wipes, and replace the towels/cloth bedding every 2-3 days. That's what I do and it works miracles! Some pieces if they don't smell at all I'll leave them in there, like the levels cloth covering which doesn't get used/pooped on as much but the bottom gets to smelling. I take everything out and wipe everything down once per week.

I just get paranoid that the myco won't go away if I don't clean often enough >_>

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so besides cleaning out the cages everyday no one has any special ways to keep the smell away???

Um when i first started caring for rats i was told by several rat owners that you cant get rid of the smell or rats completly.. there will always be a smell but you can make the smell not as bad.. so yes im exspecting a smell there its just with TempleTon i gatta air out my room every few days.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
He might be spraying more cause he smells a female perhaps? I know my men spot a lot and everywhere. You just have to clean a lot I geuss.

For the room in general, sheets of fabric softener laying around work well and work especially well over the air vents.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Male rat's urine tends to smell more than females urine naturally, and as Poppyseed said, he's probably scent-markig too. Pets at Home in the UK sell a product called CageFresh Granules which are really good - you jus sprinle them at the borrm of your cage. I've also tried cat-litter freshner, but it's not quite as effective. If you use the cat-litter freshner make sure it's well covered by bedding/cloth, because it's quite dusty and though it's never caused my rats any problems, it's probably best they they're kept from getting it on their paws incase they ingest it.

·
Registered
136 Posts
When I scrub down the shelves and bars I use a mix of baking soda, water, and hydrogen peroxide, and then follow by soap and water. Works great on cat spray too, and normally doesn change the color of any fabrics.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well maybe he is spraying more cause his cage has been right next to alyssas so that they get used to eachother.. but they know eachother now so i can move it. Ill try everything you guys seid and ill let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
489 Posts
hopefully the smell will go away. and yeah, like sara said, boys smell more.
thats why i got girls and im gonna try to little train them.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Evan though boys tend to smell more, it should smell THAT bad. Just be sure to wash the clothes that your using and scrub down the cage. I hope you figure something out. :) You have a boy and a girl right? Are the fixed?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Wow, it's odd that two rats are stinking like that, even if one is an intact male.

When you clean your cages are you making sure to wash any and all toys? I can tell if I do a quick cleaning and miss even one little thing, it will start to smell up my room within a few days. also, are there any area of the cage that are harder to reach (meaning it might not get quite the same scrub as the rest of the cage)? after awhile I had that issue with my Martins, there were just too many little spots for urine and dirt to get trapp that I couldn't reach.

·
Registered
77 Posts
My rats dwelling tends to smell near the end of the second day. I clean it out every other day, but sometimes get lazy and thats when it starts smelling.

Also, Im working on getting a large cage for them as thier current dwelling is cramped and poorly ventilated.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts