Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my new rat seems to be constantly chattering and sneezing? I've had him a week and a half maybe. He came from a sort of crowded petstore cage. I haven't noticed any red mucus or any other symptoms but I'm still worried. He sneezes usually once or twice every few minutes, I'm assuming thats not normal. He often chitters and "clicks" and today my uncle brought it to my attention that he occasionally dribbles on you. He's very active and not in the least sleepy or lethargic. Could it be a URI?

·
Registered
555 Posts
my new rat seems to be constantly chattering and sneezing? I've had him a week and a half maybe. He came from a sort of crowded petstore cage. I haven't noticed any red mucus or any other symptoms but I'm still worried. He sneezes usually once or twice every few minutes, I'm assuming thats not normal. He often chitters and "clicks" and today my uncle brought it to my attention that he occasionally dribbles on you. He's very active and not in the least sleepy or lethargic. Could it be a URI?
I'd bring him to the vet and get him checked out. The sneezing that frequently isn't normal and the chattering is either from being happy or being stressed.

When I first got my baby rat (almost 2&1/2 months ago now), she was chattering constantly and sneezing a lot too. It developed into this weird wet sneezing sound so I took her to the vet and basically they gave meds to help with that and it makes such a difference.

Nip whatever it is in the butt before it gets any worse. If your rat is constantly chattering it could be a sign of illness also. Especially where he came from a pet store; sadly they're more prone to having those types of things wrong earlier on because they're normally in glass tanks with the wrong type of bedding and there's like 15 in the tank with them.

He will be fine I'm sure, as long as you don't let it develop into something worse.

Good luck :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The chattering may be from him being so cheerful, as he's very active and friendly. It's the clicking with his teeth and the sneezing I worry about. I hope that antibiotics might help him. Yeah, he was in a glass tank with 10 - 20 other male rats all piling around him. My parents don't like going to the vet because they think they have to pay bills, but I'd put all my pocket money on this guys health. I'm glad I've caught it early though. My first rat had a URI, which I only found out after he died of unrelated causes, but I found out 'cause I read about the symptoms. Lewis had red mucus around his eyes, sometimes so bad he couldn't open them. The vet I rang didn't know what it was and just suggested I bathe them.

·
Registered
555 Posts
The chattering may be from him being so cheerful, as he's very active and friendly. It's the clicking with his teeth and the sneezing I worry about. I hope that antibiotics might help him. Yeah, he was in a glass tank with 10 - 20 other male rats all piling around him. My parents don't like going to the vet because they think they have to pay bills, but I'd put all my pocket money on this guys health. I'm glad I've caught it early though. My first rat had a URI, which I only found out after he died of unrelated causes, but I found out 'cause I read about the symptoms. Lewis had red mucus around his eyes, sometimes so bad he couldn't open them. The vet I rang didn't know what it was and just suggested I bathe them.
It most definitely could be because he's a cheerful rat. You'll know when it's not a happy chattering noise. I would for sure bring him if you can afford the vet bill. I don't know how much it is where you live but in Canada NS where I live it's 70$ per rat for a check up which is the least expensive place I could find. But it's honestly worth it for their health, like you said.

I hope a vet place can squeeze you in and give him meds so he starts to feel better :). Baytril worked wonders for my Aurora when she had bad sneezing fits.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts