Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgrade my girls cage to a double critter nation, so they're much more active now and have a ton more space. Just after that I noticed one of my girls squeeks whenever I touch her side or pick her up. She seems perfectly fine in her cage, she runs on the wheel, climbs bars, plays with the other 2 and eats and drinks. Should I be worried something is wrong or is just from being more active?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Give her a check over and make sure there aren't any scratches or anything. She could also just be getting used to the cage and is startled easily where her surroundings aren't 100% familiar yet?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Our sweet guy Dumplekins who had to be put to sleep a couple weeks ago did this. It was one of his endearing qualities that we miss <3

How old is your little girl? Dumples didn't do this right when we got him home. It was only after he grew in his rough adult fur that he started squeaking when touched or picked up. We at first thought maybe his new bristly fur was uncomfortable for him when touched, compared to his soft baby fur that he was used to. But all through his life, up until a few weeks before he died, he squeaked whenever he suspected he would get picked up or jostled. That was actually one of the things that made us make our final decision to have him put to sleep and we knew he really wasn't feeling well, was that he no longer squeaked.

If you've ruled out any medical issues (when a rat is REALLY sick, they may not want to be touched and squeak when you do touch them) but you would have probably noticed other symptoms of illness if that were the case. She may just be one of those ratties that like to vocally protest. There's a lot of people here who have vocal rats like that, so as long as she's not injured or sick, I wouldn't worry about it. It's just a cute personality quirk. :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got her mom from a pet store and she had her litter. So I raised her from a pup (or whatever you call baby rats lol) I would hold her everyday so she'd be used to me and she's never done this. She's probably 6 months or so. She also does something else strange. She curls her tail up over her back when she walks...She's done that for a long time though. She doesn't have any scratches or anything. If you saw her playing you'd think she's perfectly healthy.

·
Registered
265 Posts
My boy daisy did this to me a couple different times for maybe 2 days at a time. One time I noticed he started doing it around the time that I had given him a bath and used a new soap that required no water. I thought maybe his skin reacted to the soap but it actually turned out he was mad at me for bathing him and copped a new attitude. unusual cuz he had never done that before and only squeaks when something serious is wrong and he is my baby and loves to be held, cuddles, kissed, etc. the when I'd pick him up he'd squeak bloody murder and get mad. I thought he was hurt. He did it for 2 days and then was back to normal. This happened again at some other point and idk why he did it that time so i thought he had an injury from falling or something. I don't remember now what had happened. But what i did is I touched him everywhere lightly on the fur and that didn't irritate him, no reaction. There were no visible marks either. i also pushed on him everywhere, like his tummy and stuff to see if he had any sore spots that he reacted to and he didn't seem in pain and his legs weren't sore either so I couldn't find any sore spots to say I was actually hurting him when I picked him up. That told me he was literally just being his dominant self and was mad at me for some reason and copping an attitude. Unusual yes, cuz he's a year old now and had never done that before but maybe as he gets older he's getting grumpy lol.

This could be what's happening in your case. She could be irritated from the change of cage and just reacting a little bit and will probably snap out of it soon. I would do what I did though with the check over thing of pushing on her for sore spots to see if it's actually possible that you are causing pain when you pick her up. I'm sure you aren't if she is running around just fine like you said. But if she has no sore spots it's probably some strange temporary attitude problem and will go away soon. Maybe try to baby her a little bit and be extra nice for now or give her extra treats to get her used to the cage lol

1 - 5 of 5 Posts