Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got two male rats, monty and peanut. I've had them for about 4 months now and they're both around 5 months old. They've both always been very well behaved and lovable. Recently Monty has bitten me and drawn blood and has tried to do it again quite a few times. I was really surprised because before now I've had no trouble at all with him, he's always been happy to be picked up and stroked etc. Peanut hasn't changed his behaviour at all and is still very gentle and happy to be played with. I've recently moved rooms and they've got a lot more space to run around in and as I work at home a lot I let them run around for most of the day. The bites hurt a lot and take ages to heal and I'm getting nervous handling him. This has all played out within the last week but I moved rooms about a month ago, it's been a really quick change in behaviour. I know one solution may be to get him neutered but I'm not sure I want to put him through that and want to keep it as a last resort for now. Has this happened to anyone else or can anyone give me any advice on what to do?

Thanks!

Aysha

·
Registered
870 Posts
When a rat bites, I bop his nose and say "NO!". At their ages it can be hormonal aggression. You can check out the Immersion thread for ways to establish dominance and see if that works before resorting to neuters.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts