Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got some baby rats three months ago and they are both extremely friendly. Tonight I was doing free time and one of the rats got into one of my plants. I went to pick her up to remove her from the area and she freaked. Started to squeal loudly and jump. Now she won't even let me touch her without her running away. She has always been very friendly and very out going. I'm freaking because I finally got some rats I can handle and now one of them won't even let me touch her.

·
Registered
629 Posts
My opinion is that you just startled her badly and she'll warm up to you again. Just spend lots of time holding her and reassuring her that you're good. I think it'll be okay!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Also check her for an injury. A rat can get hurt and not show it. When you pick her up she's jumping in pain... Rats don't usually show that they are in pain.. unless you touch their sore spot. It might just go away, rats heal amazingly fast, but do try and look under her fur if you can or try to avoid her sore spot if that's the case.

Best luck

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
How is your rat today?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
She is doing much better. Still a little skittish but at least I can handle her. I put up her cage mates and just played with her until it got late last night. It seems like I just startled her. I'm glad she wasn't hurt and that she doesn't fear me. Thanks so much for the help guys.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts