Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
[Rat, Female, age 2, Not Neutered, Norwegian rat, 8 oz, healthy, no pathology, immediate possibly traumatic death, Central Indiana, no pathological results at this time, amateur autopsy forthcoming;]
Can anyone take a look at my dead rat? My ex girlfriend claims she died with no reason suddenly and that she found my rat like this. I have kept rats for almost 20 years and have seen tumors and every such thing but never something as traumatic as this.

Sorry, Very NSFW.

My girlfiend and I have been separated for some time. She agree to keep my 2 female rats because my new roommate was leery of them. Also my ex girlfriend's kids seemed to like the rats quite a bit. SO it worked out. Yesterday she sent this picture and claimed to have found the rat in the cage in this state.

I have asked her to put the rat on ice or in a freezer so that I could conduct an autopsy in order to look for damaged organs or any broken bones. She has declined to put the rat on ice and said I can pick it up from her porch, at which time it will have been in the summer heat for 2 days. I plan to continue with the autopsy regardless and using perhaps VapoRub to block the smell. I'm an outdoorsman and an hunter so I'm not too leery about the smell, but I am worried physical evidence will be destroyed.

Has anyone ever seen this? The two female rats grew up together and have always been very close. There has also been no sign of tumor growth anywhere or on the abdomen.

As I conduct the autopsy tomorrow evening I will be sure to upload more pictures. But in the meantime I only hope I can rule out foul play.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Hello Hugh, I'm very sorry. Sometimes when a rat dies, its cagemates will try to get rid of the body to prevent attracting scavengers. Perhaps this is what happened.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Oh goodness, I'm so sorry about your girl. Without details I wouldn't know what would cause that... though I question your ex's refusal to simply wrap the body up and freeze it for you. Putting a dead pet on porch summer heat seems callous to the one that loved it.

·
Super Moderator
115 Posts
That looks like a straight cut right up the abdomen. What the actual f*ck.
Are you on good terms with her? Are the kids normal?

Please put a warning in the title of your posts before posting something so gorey, this can be quite traumatic for people to see, it certainly got my heart racing. I have edited your post to add a spoiler to hide the image.

·
Registered
10 Posts
May be the kids played with the rats and one may have run away. Then it may have gotten injured else where in the house, not in the cage.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts