Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has always been a issue with me and my girls, but my rats keep their tails all nasty and funky like they won't even try to groom them. I wash their tails with warm water and home made shampoo (shampoo is found on the rat whisperer's blog/page thing). But i also notice that their tails seem sort of dry or flaky? Like little scales or dry skin, is there a way i can moisturize their tails or is this normal? Also the rats iv had have had like a cartilage tip on their tail, its a diff texture and feel then the rest of tail but they have always had it. Is it normal, and what is it called?
http://s20.photobucket.com/user/Sharlibby/media/Finstail.jpg.html?t=1176738488
This is not my rat or photo, but this is whats been on my girls tails ever since i have gotten then.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
It's pretty much normal... We've had certain rats the keep their tails clean and trimmed and other's that seem to take pride in just how filthy their tails can get... When our part wild rat came home from 5 months living on her own outdoors, she was immaculate, not a single hair out of place. She was in top form, the slickest rat you have ever seen... except she stank like dog and her tail was jet black. We found out later that she actually would rub herself in anything that smelled other than rat, I suppose to camouflage her smell, but why she didn't preen her tail was a mystery. At the time we had Fuzzy Rat who also never cleaned her tail... once the two rats were together they preened each other's tails and things looked better... But yes, your rats can be healthy and happy and have totally disgusting tails with hard caps on the end at the same time....

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
okay, thank you. I was wondering what the white cap thing was or if it was something bad. Did you ever try to clean their tails?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Whenever my girls' tails get dirty, I just pop them in my bathtub with some warm water and I use some pet shampoo and gently lather their tails, scrubbing downwards on the scales. If you wash upwards, the scales can get infected and just cause all sorts of problems. I'll also use a toothbrush and gently run it down their tail to get any loose scales off. Even just letting them soak in the tub for 10 minutes can clean their tail of grit. Alternatively, you can use unscented baby wipes to clean their tails, but I find that since my girls' tails get so grody I just let them soak!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Sure, I'd wash their tails when I took them into the shower... They may not have cared, but it really does look mangy at some point.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I didn't realize that my rats tail had any problems until I saw a clean spot, now it's all I see. So this scabby stuff all over her tail is dirt? Do you think is uncomfortable? I'm going to have to give my rats a good scrubbing I guess.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Whenever my girls' tails get dirty, I just pop them in my bathtub with some warm water and I use some pet shampoo and gently lather their tails, scrubbing downwards on the scales. If you wash upwards, the scales can get infected and just cause all sorts of problems. I'll also use a toothbrush and gently run it down their tail to get any loose scales off. Even just letting them soak in the tub for 10 minutes can clean their tail of grit. Alternatively, you can use unscented baby wipes to clean their tails, but I find that since my girls' tails get so grody I just let them soak!
Do you put your ratties in the tub in the colder months? I've been wanting to let them play around in the water in my tub, but it's getting colder here in PA and I don't want them to get sick. My girls tails are in dire need of some cleaning and they always put up a fight when I wet their tails and gently use a toothbrush in a downward motion on their tails, I feel a bath would be easier. Do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I didn't realize that my rats tail had any problems until I saw a clean spot, now it's all I see. So this scabby stuff all over her tail is dirt? Do you think is uncomfortable? I'm going to have to give my rats a good scrubbing I guess.
It could also be dried pee. Dried pee just flakes off of my girls tails after they get moist. lol.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I let my girl sit in my lap, with a lot of towels covering my legs and use a washcloth or a soft sponge and scrub hr tail gently with home made rat shampoo with warm water. If i tried to put her in the tub she'd jump around trying to get out and climb up my arm as soon as i go to scrub.. not to mention all the poop.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I only wash the girls when the house is warm and we towel dry them as best as we can. Although I'm not entirely old school about chills causing sickness, there's no reason to have your rats running around in a cold house soak and wet.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I only wash the girls when the house is warm and we towel dry them as best as we can. Although I'm not entirely old school about chills causing sickness, there's no reason to have your rats running around in a cold house soak and wet.
Oh no! Obviously not. I would dry them. We are keeping our home around 68 or 70 degrees during the cooler nights - obviously adjusting the temperature as needed. Days here are still in the upper 60's to mid 50's and after having the heat on at night, the house is still pretty warm during the day until about 6-9 pm, depending on the temperature at night.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if its cold out and mine need to be washed i use warm water and dry them as much as possible

1 - 12 of 12 Posts