Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i recently brought a cage with 4 rats and there teeth are very long and orange is there anything that wold help there teeth like file down abit ??
suggestions?

·
Registered
393 Posts
It's highly unlikely that their teeth are too long. They may look long to you but malocclusion is not that common. Rats wear their teeth down by themselves by bruxing and orange is the normal color for their teeth and a good sign that the teeth and rat are healthy.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
oh thanks thats cleared it up for me i always thought if there teeth are orange there not healthy silly me thankyou

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's a common misconception =). You can buy them safe wooden chew to help keep their teeth in check if you really are concerned. Ratties love to chew

·
Registered
6 Posts
First, sorry for hijacking this thread but it's a related query and I thought it best to start here rather than starting another topic. Please let me know if I've made a booboo and I'll start another thread instead.

I've been keeping an eye on the teeth of my three hairless boys as to be honest I've been expecting problems to pop up as although I love them to pieces I've always been concerned about their genetics, knowing the breeder they came from originally. (Lots of words for him, none of which I shall repeat where minors can s dbee them). Until recently there were no signs of any problems but I started to notice that Baldrick's bottom teeth have been getting a fair bit longer than his brothers', but also that they've started to grow apart in a V. Now normally I wouldn't worry about "long" teeth knowing that he should be able to keep them in shape by chewing and bruxing but my concern is will he able to keep them trimmed with them growing like this?

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
the rat has the ability to spread their teeth apart into a shape of a V

you might see this in a yawn or if interacting with another rat

If you see it all the time... like when the rat is asleep then there might be a misalignment (malocclusion) & at that point you want to look inside the mouth where the teeth would rest when mouth is closed.

Look for any signs of redness (watch your fingers when attempting this examination)

If you see redness or surface scratches then it is time to get an expert opinion & book an appointment with a vet who is experienced with rats.

Good luck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts