Rat Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first post so here it is.

I'm going to get a rat cage off my cousin today that she doesn't want anymore and she says its huge so yeah.

I'm planning on getting 2 female rats sometime this week if i can find the perfect 2.

Now I just want some people to list all the different types of stuff that rats need and like having.

First off I would like a list of all the foods you should feed rats then a list of the toys and stuff they like to have to play with and sleep in and stuff.

Thanks to everyone who replies.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
i pretty much feed my girls just about anything i have, but the following is their favourites. absolute minimal salt & sugar.

-corn, either tinned, frozen or fresh cobs... NOT dried
-peas, frozen or fresh
-broccoli
-cream cheese (not kraft but the stuff you find in the cheese section of woolies or coles)
-avocado, but not the stone or skin
-grapes
-"dick smith" brand muesli
-pecans, almonds, peanuts in shells (NOT salted)
-mango
-most berries (but NOT any pits or stones) i get the frozen mixed by "sara lee" from woolies or coles freezer section
-chicken bones to gnaw on.. i use the larger bones like drumstick and larger wing bones
-cooked chicken, bacon, lamb
-a bit of icecream as a treat
-yoghurt
-yoggies (apparently available from health food stores, i get berries in yoghurt from the health food aisle at woolies)

they will play with just about anything you give them.
-cat balls with the bells in will drive you nuts, but my ratties have fun.
-things to climb, eg parrot ladders, the rope type from pet stores
-boxes boxes and more boxes. they will sleep in them, stash their food in them, hide from you in them...

i give my ratties a box of tissues with the first 20 or so taken out. they will pull the rest out, make nests with them, stash food, poke tissues through cage bars, and generally shred them to pieces. keeps them amused for hours. i also give them some newspaper, which gets shredded in amongst the tissues.

for bedding, apart from the tissues, my ratties have fleece squares and old bath towels. i get el-cheapo fleece baby blankets from $2 shops (the reject shop or cheap as chips if you have them in townsville) and cut them into squares. i think i get about 12 squares per blanket. i get the bath towels from op shops. the ratties love making hidey holes with the towels and tissues....

the attached pics will show you what i mean...

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the reply.

another question the cage is a large bird cage so theres no shelves or ramps or anything so does anyone know what I can use to make shelves and ramps and how do i attach the shelves to the bird cage?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
try a hardware store, they might have something you can use as shelves. i dont know if you have pets paradise up there, but i have asked them before if they sell spare shelves, and they dont.

for ramps, you could use almost anything, and cover it with sandpaper. this has the added advantage of keeping little rattie nails trimmed. you'll probably find though that you'll have to change the sandpaper frequently, and if you use wood, change the ramp every couple of months or so as not all ratties will potty train and arent proud where they do their secret rattie business, haha!!

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Also make sure you get the exact dimensions and run it through the cage caculator. Sometimes a cage may seem large yet only hold 1-2 rats when you are not used to owning rats.

You can also get the cut to fit wire plastic coated shelves from hardware stores and cover that with something like coroplast or linolium. Attach it with zip ties, and use bird ladders for them to get to those shelves.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You should make a Suebee's mix (ratties love it) with a good quality lab block or dog food

also you can buy cylindrical mailing tubes for them to play in!

·
Registered
94 Posts
MopyDream44 said:
You should make a Suebee's mix (ratties love it) with a good quality lab block or dog food

also you can buy cylindrical mailing tubes for them to play in!
Somebody here mentioned that you can get tubes from carpet places (thats what they roll the carpet on). Or, I got a couple of sample 6' mailing tubes from uline.com when I was working on business venture. I ended up not using the tubes. You might be able to ask them for a sample tube.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You might be able to ask them for a sample tube.
I should have thought of that lol....... i think i ended up paying 4 or 5$ per tube lol!

Actually...... I did go into a craft place, and I asked if I could take a fabric roll but they were too narrow!

Being thrifty is awesome........gotta do more of that!!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yay for cheap treasures! I love the Walmart fabric scraps... they sell them dirt cheap - I found a bunch yesterday that were about $0.60ea. Great for hammocks and covers. Also, the packs of cat toys with bells and feathers and little stuffed mice. My girls shred the stuffed things... all over the place. They have some aggression that they apparently need to work out. :lol:

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Yay for cheap treasures! I love the Walmart fabric scraps... they sell them dirt cheap - I found a bunch yesterday that were about $0.60ea.
great tip! I'm going to make my first attempt at making hammocks, cubes, and tunnels this week!

·
Registered
520 Posts
So fun!

·
Registered
23 Posts
My rats have a couple of lengths of wide drain pipe type tube which i drilled some holes in the top of and hung from the top of they're cage with bath plug chain stuff. Then they swing about a bit which makes it more interesting, they seem to like them see:

Attachments

·
Registered
208 Posts
That's a great idea! My ratties have several PVC tubes to lay in, they are always pushing them around and off the shelves! Never thought about doing that with them! Fantastic. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow that website is awesome!!! Thanks for posting that Zach!! I spent today revamping my ratties cage for them as they have been bored for the couple of weeks cos we're now all back from uni for the summer and they are in they're summer home (cage) lol, I left all they're usual cage accessories at uni as i wanted to get them new stuff for a change and have only got round to it today.

Anyway today I made them 2 new platforms from scrap wood covered with lino, as the top space in their cage wasn't being used very well. I also bought some dryer hose (someone in another topic suggested it) and made them a spiral helter skelter lookin tunnel leading from the floor of the cage to one of the platforms.

From that website I made them a pool filled with pebbles and water and treats for them to fish out, and I made them a litter box as it would be easier for me to clean out. I also planted some cress and bird seed in some tubs for digging boxes but that will take a week or so to grow and found a terracotta plant pot but it won't fit with everything else in there so I'll switch stuff around in a few days :)

And they still have their igloo, hanging basket and hammock which have been in their for ages. But yeah they love all the new stuff Arty especially loves the fishing pond and got all the treats in about 5 seconds flat, they both have been paddling in it (weird considering they both hate water at bath time....). They also love the spiral tunnel, the grooves in it make great claw holds and I taped up the sharp edges so they don't get hurt on it. They don't get the whole litter box idea yet though, I didn't have any cat litter so I put earth and stones in it and they have just been digging in it and eating stuff from it....not quite the idea but hey....

Anyway they are having a great time thanks for posting that website up!!!! And sorry for the really long post but I wanted to share the joy that the new things are bringing to both my ratties and me (it's such fun watching them explore and play!!!)

Attachments

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
What's the bar spacing on that cage? Looks big for some reason. :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yeah it is quite big 2cm x 22cm but they definately can't get through it anymore (Houdini escaped once when he was younger lol). I have two cages, this one here at home as we're here less, and one with smaller spacing at uni where we are most of the year. All my ratties start of in the smaller spaced cage until they are fully grown, and I have never had a problem with fully grown rats in this cage, they seem quite happy in it :)

·
Registered
208 Posts
My rats current favorite thing to play with is empty egg cartons. They go crazy over those things. I will also stick the end of a roll of toilet paper through the cage and the ratties will sit there and pull the whole roll into the cage, trying to drag it all into their igloos... it's too cute. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts