Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been making hammocks hideouts and climbing ropes for my soon to be first rat . i found some small wooden letter block that my little brother used to play with and was wonderin if it would be safe for a rat to chew. it i very soft wood with the 2 letters in it painted but i think it is nontoxic because people use them with chinchillas and they r safe for them but would it be safe for a rat.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i'm really not sure. i would think that the paint should be fine being used as a child's toy and all but i don't know about the wood. pine and cedar are bith soft woods and pine is cheap and so used in a lot of products. is there anyway to find out what type of wood it is?

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
it would but that would also depend on how old the toy is too. the really old ones just smell like kids or the attic.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Is there any chance you can find one online to show us?

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
You can find a lot of wooden toys for small animals in a pet store. Do they avoid using pine and cedar in these products?

Also, I've read you can use bird toys for your rats. Would these products avoid pine and cedar as well?

I wanted to buy wooden boxes from craft stores for my ratties but I have yet to find a wooden object from a store that tells you what type of wood it's made from, so I've avoided it. I have bought a few wooden Hide-A-Ways from a pet store though.

I ask at the store but I usually get a {{shrug}} and "It should be fine!" :?:

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I'm sorry ratluver, I thought if we saw a picture it might be easier to look them up to find out what they are made from, but those look pretty generic :? Maybe someone will recognise them and know...

MopyDream44 said:
You can find a lot of wooden toys for small animals in a pet store. Do they avoid using pine and cedar in these products?

Also, I've read you can use bird toys for your rats. Would these products avoid pine and cedar as well?
The only thing I don't like about wooden toys is they absorb urine easily and stink very quickly, so they need to be replaced often. I tend to just use hanging wooden things for our cage. As for what they're made of, if it's not in the small print on the label, I think it's anyone's guess, really :?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well thanks guys i think they will probably work because i hav looked at chinchillas and cedar and pine r toxic to them and people use these blocks.and they said they were safe.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
another alternative to buying them blocks of wood to chew would be to give them the left over chicken bones from your plate. my rats LOVE them and they're free with the chicken meat! :smile:

·
Registered
238 Posts
ratluver25 said:
if there is chiken left on the bone will it harm them
Where did you hear this? What is so wrong with leftover cooked chicken meat? Is baby food with chicken supposed to be bad too?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The chicken and the bone won't harm them. They don't crush the bone like dogs do, so no splinters.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
ratluver: chicken left on the bone will only make them like it more. there is no harm from it so long as everything has been cooked of course. but these are leftovers so i would assume you would cook you chicken before you eat it. in fact a little bit of meat is good for your rat. but like everything else, keep to moderation. too much protein can cause skin irritation. but simply lowering the protein levels and giving it some time clears protein itches up just fine.

Star: i'm not sure if your response was meant to be sarcastic (if this is the case please ease up a little, it was a legit question) or if you were really asking those questions. in case you were asking them then i'll answer. as to where ratluver could have heard this from, well just about anywhere. there are a lot of old wives tales and just out and out misinformation about rat care just about everywhere. this is why it is always good to question what information is given to you be it from a website, forum or even a vet. as for what is wrong with leftover chicken, that would be answered above. finally, baby foods should be fine so long as the ingredients are not on the forbidden foods list. baby foods are in fact recommended for ailing rats or underweight rats too boost their system and give them extra nutrients. boost is also recommended for this reason.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Star said:
Where did you hear this? What is so wrong with leftover cooked chicken meat? Is baby food with chicken supposed to be bad too?
Star, Ratluver was asking if it was bad, not saying that it was bad ;)

·
Registered
418 Posts
I have used quite a few of these in the past...

They have worked quite well, my rats always love them.
I can agree that they are absorbent and can stain and get stinky after a while.

So besides the paint factor, I would think the blocks would be relatively safe.

What really depends is if your rat is even interested in them after all this hassle lol.

Sometimes I have given my rats cat toy balls w the bells removed. Some rats would move them around and organize them.. strut around their cage w it in their mouth, while others have ignored them and just pushed them out of their way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts