Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over my winter break, I have to head home for two days (which is only 2 hours away) and then to my grandparents for five days (which is 4 hours from home). One of my rats is currently on antibiotics and will need to take them through the 26th. So I'm having trouble deciding what to do with them. I know that I'm not leaving them here, they're at least going home with me. I plan to use a converted rubbermaid for travel and disassemble their FN and take it with me too. My boyfriend will be caring for my family's pets once he gets back home too (which is a day after we leave). And while, he does know my rats and how to give Emma her meds, I feel bad asking him to come over twice a day to care for them, as he should be spending time with his family.

So I'm thinking about taking them with me to my grandparents. But I'm afraid that all the travel & reassembling of their home may stress them out too much, especially with Emma all sick like. Does anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Do you have a travel cage at all? Perhaps somthing a bit smaller than the FN? If so you can use that as a temp home over the holiday. I wouldn't worry too much about traveling with them as long as you are watching them for any signs of distress. Also a quick tip when traveling in the car take the water bottle off the cage and offer watermelon and grapes instead. The bumping of the car always makes the water bottle leak everywhere and you have a huge mess and ratties that are wet!

·
Registered
482 Posts
I use a cat carrier to take my ratties anywhere. They don't stress out too much (they've even been on the London underground ;)), and I got a leakproof bottle for such occasions.

I'm having the same problem as you, I am going home for the holidays and then to my uncles for christmas. Luckily I have a small cage a little bit like this one, which you can take apart so it can be packed in a large suitcase (it's bigger than it looks):

Which will do for a few days.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts