Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! We got two baby rats at Christmas time. What are good treats? Is it smart to hand feed them or will that encourage biting? Thanks so much.

·
Registered
321 Posts
It's smart to hand feed them, never give them treats through the bars though as this could cause them to bite fingers through the bars as they think they get treats through bars.
Carrots, yogi's, pear, apple, broccoli, kale, parsley, watermelon, chicken bones, papaya, etc etc... You can find a lot of websites that list safe treats for rats if you just Google something like, "safe good for pet rats."
Just don't overfeed treats!
You can also get those little starch dog chew toys for them(I don't remember what they're called). Sometimes they shape them like alligators or hedgehogs. It's a nice treat that helps trim down their teeth

·
Registered
Willow, Comet, and Spark
244 Posts
Yes, hand feeding is the way to go!

Usually, I break plain cheerios into 3 or 4 pieces for training treats or just quick treats to hand out before I close the cage, etc. My family always has several boxes of cheerios since we eat them for breakfast, so they are cheap and really convenient for me.
Any type of low sugar healthy cereal actually should be good treats for rats- cheerios, rice crispies, Kamut puffs, etc.
I've also heard of people using Gerber baby puffs as treats, but I can't imagine them being the healthiest and cheapest option- I've never actually tried them myself as treats though so I'm not really sure.

For liquid treats, you can use baby food, (most rats prefer meat flavored baby food) thick healthy smoothies, or pretty much anything else runny and low on sugar and bad stuff.

Most of the commercial rat treats will be too high in sugar, etc. and it's just cheaper and more convenient to make treats or use things like cereal. For example, I usually don't recommend buying yogies- they are so high in sugar that human kids would like them, and remember that sugar feeds cancer. I'm not saying store bought yogies are poisonous, I'm just saying they should be fed only on special occasions. You can make your own healthy yogies by spooning plain yogurt onto parchment paper and sticking them in the freezer.

@_dizzy_, do you mean the little Whimzee and Greenie dog chews? :)
Those are nice and help keep rats' teeth trimmed- I cut them up though since I'm afraid an entire thing might be too much.

·
Registered
321 Posts
@_dizzy_, do you mean the little Whimzee and Greenie dog chews? :)
Those are nice and help keep rats' teeth trimmed- I cut them up though since I'm afraid an entire thing might be too much.
I believe those are it! It's a rare treat I get my ratties. I get the smallest ones they have and each rat gets one. Orbit I want to give them a weird shape like the alligator then it's like one gator to 3-4 rats since they're big. It's something they get like once every 2 months or so.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up question. We started hand feeding three days ago now our white rat acts like he’s going to bite us every time we put our hand in the cage 😓😓😓😓 any thoughts?

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
653 Posts
Does he bite you to try and get the treat or does he think you're the treat?

·
Registered
Rex, Penny, Sugar, Latte
653 Posts
Have you tried squeaking when he bites? This will show him you are not food and let him know that the biting hurts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts