Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently started noticing growths on two of my girls. My vet thinks that they're tumors, and that there's nothing we can do that would improve quality of life. I'm propably grasping at straws here, but is there anything else that could cause lumps to grow on a rat? The two are half sisters; could they have inherited some wierd genetic condition from their dad? It just seems odd to me that the growth on the younger is the same size that the older sister's growth was when we noticed it two weeks ago (their litters were born about two weeks apart). On both of them the lumps are located on the underside of their bellies near the anus.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Sounds like a mammary tumor. Rampant in female rats, woefully. Start to kick in at about a year and a half. You can remove them and spay them and cut out all sugars in their diet and hope it never comes back.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They're just under a year and a half, so the timing makes since. I figured that it was a tumor, but had to see if there was anything else it could be. Like I said in my original post, my vet dosen't think that removing the tumors would help. Because they're located right under to the anus, she suspects that the tumors are extending into the tubing for the end of the digestive system. If the tumor is self contained (which she doubts from feeling it) she would be able to remove it; if not she would be forced to euthanize on the table.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If it's a typical mammary lump then it won't extend back like that, they are common in that location and the most common type of benign tumours in rats.

It's up to you in terms of what you want to do, they can have decent quality of life for a while with lumps, though that location is harder so tends to be problematic earlier

1 - 4 of 4 Posts