Rat Forum banner

Rat URI was getting better then sudden honking noises?

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  PinkCoatedRat 
#1 ·
This is like my 3rd question so sorry, i'm a very parinoid rat mom.

So i got my new rat Butterscotch(and his two brothers) on march 21st, age is roughly 8 weeks old. He seemed off to me and by Tuesday i was sure he had an URI(clicking, hardly eating or drinking and sleeping a lot and hardly doing anything) and took him to the vet. They put him (and his brothers) on Baytril(0.9) and Doxy(0.4) twice a day.

It's been 6 days on the meds and he seemed to be doing so much better, he was eating a lot and drinking and roaming around the cage and playing with his brothers(he's put on weight i feel like he's always eating). Until sunday(5th day on meds) He started making honky sneezing noises(first time since getting him). It's loud and scares me. He still eats and drinks and roams around so i guess i'm just asking if he's getting worse or is he possibly still doing ok but maybe he's so wet honky sneezey because all the gunk is coming up?(grasping at straws i guess i'm naturally very paranoid) I've taken him for a steam but it didnt seem to help.

Some other concerns are when he goes to drink he will sit in front of the water bottle barley drinking and swaying, he does have somewhat pink eyes so i have thought it's just him and his poor vision but like i said i'm paranoid.

He's been honking and sneezing a lot this morning. I already called the vet and left him a message about whats going on and will hear back from him tomorrow(He's off today)

See less See more
#2 ·
Other important notes. I have been changing there bedding(cloth) everyday and been picking up little poopies being left(They are loose so i'm trying to keep things as clean as i can) I change there food and water daily and try and keep things as clean as possible. I visit there cage often but havent had any serious out of cage bonding and play time since he's been sick and seems to stress out(he still has only known me 1 week)

#4 ·
I had a situation similar to this a few days ago. My girl Neera had been on medicine for a few weeks and was suddenly getting worse again. My vet said that what had happened with her is that she'd reached the end of her span with antibiotics. All of the bacteria left in her lungs were bacteria immune to the antibiotics. So, we moved on to nebulizing her. In just a few days she seems so much better!

I would definitely be worried with how your girl is doing. If anything, I would call the vet and see if they can leave her a message and ask you to call her back. The medicine shouldn't be having the same problem as mine in such a short time. I would think that maybe the infection has moved on to secondary and is now causing problems in her lungs and may be more difficult to kill. I'm not a vet or an expert though, so definitely get a second opinion or go in and see your vet again/give them a call. :3

#5 ·
Butterscotch has gotten worse suddenly. He was eating and drinking and not much sneezing then suddenly 1 hour ago started sneezing with his whole body constantly and I mean he hasn't stopped but a few seconds.

He trays hard to lift his head and prop up his upper body when this happens and his eyes are half open as he slowly moves in circles as he has these almost convulsive like sneezing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.