Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Kleo, Manta, Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!

So I've been thinking that I would actually get a wheel for my girls since they are sooooo active during the night and I would just want them to have an additional way to get some of that energy out. I know that they might not like it or use it much, BUT on the other hand I've also read that some people's rats really enjoy their wheels. I would like to try it out to see if they'd like it and if they would, then I know it would be so helpful for them.
I've been reading that for example a 12in (or 30cm) wheel would be fine for smaller rats and females, so since I want to be sure, I found a reasonably priced wooden 13in (33cm) wheel that I think would work for my girls.

The question is, do you think I should get them a 13inch wheel?
AND also since it's a wooden wheel and I don't want it to go bad first time someone decides to pee on it, do you know if there is something I could use for the wood so that it wouldn't start smelling too bad too soon. I read somewhere that someone used paraffin oil (I think that's what it is in English) for their wooden wheel for their pets so that it protects the wood a bit so it doesn't smell so bad and stuff. But does anyone know any other ideas for example?
Parafiiniöljy (Paraffin Oil) - Vitabalans Oy Here is a link for paraffin oil if someone doesn't know what it is and it is even recommended for humans to take to relieve constipation and it's all natural and all that from my research.

·
Registered
802 Posts
At least 14inches is best, for male or feamale rats.

·
Registered
Kleo, Manta, Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all!!
I was wondering.. because the 13inch one is the only one I can get that is reasonably priced, if I should get that for now since my female rats are young still anyway and not full grown and then if they show that they like it or use it sometimes, I could invest in a larger wheel of 16,5 inches.
The reason why I don't want to just go and get the big wheel is because it is VERY expensive for a wheel and I won't know if they'd ever use it, so I'd for sure like to know if they would use it at all before spending 80€ (or since many are from the us: 95$) on a wheel they might never use.

·
Registered
802 Posts
That sounds good to me.

Reactions: jempula

·
Registered
Kleo, Manta, Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sounds good to me.
Thanks! Good to hear! I will be doing that then, if they show interest in it and use it a couple of times, then I know it's worth it to get the big wheel!! 😊
It's kind of crazy how there's no wheels in between the sizes of 13in and 16,5in available here but also.. we don't always necessarily get all the great things here in Finland when it comes to small pet items (or anything that would have to be imported from somewhere far really)

·
Registered
🐾🐹Flower and Star the Black white and grey varigated Twins🐾🐭
55 Posts
Great idea!! My girls have a 15 inch plastic wheel , only Star uses it though, Flower could care less about it 😅😂

Good luck with your new venture for your babies!! Would love to see pics in the future of the ratties on the wheel!! If they like it that is 😂

🐾💕🐹🐭💕🐾

·
Registered
🐾🐹Flower and Star the Black white and grey varigated Twins🐾🐭
55 Posts
Great idea!! My girls have a 15 inch plastic wheel , only Star uses it though, Flower could care less about it 😅😂

Good luck with your new venture for your babies!! Would love to see pics in the future of the ratties on the wheel!! If they like it that is 😂

🐾💕🐹🐭💕🐾
Sorry I meant to type 16 inch

·
Registered
Kleo, Manta, Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Aww thank you so much!! 😊 Yeah, hopefully they'd like the wheel, I'd feel a lot better knowing they have that to help get out their energy! If they start liking the wheel, I'll try to catch a picture :cool:

·
Registered
Bandit, Biscuit, and Sage
444 Posts
I've only ever had one rat, Shadow (bottom right pic in my signature), that used the wheel! He would run and run at night. He passed away at a year old so I'm not sure wether he would have used it when he got older. The rest of my rats couldn't care less, though I'll probably put one in to see if Sage likes it!

·
Registered
Kleo, Manta, Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've only ever had one rat, Shadow (bottom right pic in my signature), that used the wheel! He would run and run at night. He passed away at a year old so I'm not sure wether he would have used it when he got older. The rest of my rats couldn't care less, though I'll probably put one in to see if Sage likes it!
Interesting! Well, hopefully at least one of my rats would like it too 😄

·
Registered
802 Posts
@MinkShadow For a second when you said "I've only ever had one rat that used the wheel" I didn't finish reading the sentece and thought you had said "I've only ever had ONE RAT."

Reactions: jempula

·
Registered
Kleo, Manta, Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@MinkShadow For a second when you said "I've only ever had one rat that used the wheel" I didn't finish reading the sentece and thought you had said "I've only ever had ONE RAT."
I did that too, I had to read it a few times because I was so confused but then I got it 😄

·
Registered
Kleo, Manta, Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Both my girls and boys have 16" metal wheels I got off of etsy. It took them a whole month before trying it out. If I could I'd get a larger wheel for my boys. I'd love to get them a 20" wheel.
Wooow that's amazing!!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks! Good to hear! I will be doing that then, if they show interest in it and use it a couple of times, then I know it's worth it to get the big wheel!! 😊
It's kind of crazy how there's no wheels in between the sizes of 13in and 16,5in available here but also.. we don't always necessarily get all the great things here in Finland when it comes to small pet items (or anything that would have to be imported from somewhere far really)
I’ve been trying to find a wheel for weeks and I can find only those 12inch. Where did you find the 16.5inch????

·
Registered
Kleo, Manta, Bean
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Can you link the place??😅
Oh of course! You might not have found this awesome store yet then, there's other awesome stuff too, here's the wheel! 😊

1 - 20 of 22 Posts