Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my new rats a wheel (link below) as I noticed that the papa rat is getting pretty chonky. The three of them (papa and two boys) have a DCN and ramps, etc. and also get a bit of free range time every day or two but I think they are living the good life now and starting to chonk up a bit.
Will they figure out how to run the wheel? I was told the papa rat (Skip) is about 9 months old; don't know how old his 'boys' are maybe 4-5 months? Just a guess.
They eat the Science Selective food (the triangle shaped pieces) because they really seemed to hate the bigger oblong rat block kinds.
I put some little treats on the wheel and they sniffed and got some of the treats but will they eventually figure it out and run on this wheel? It was crazy expensive but is supposed to be safe and big enough. It is 15 inches and solid floor.
Suggestions?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Just like water bottles,they have an instinct of how things work........they will use it. ....IF they want to .Some rats go crazy for them,some aren’t that bothered.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just like water bottles,they have an instinct of how things work........they will use it. ....IF they want to .Some rats go crazy for them,some aren’t that bothered.
Great, I'll just be patient and hope for the best! They sure could use some exercise and they seem to be pretty inquisitive so maybe.....

·
Registered
1,588 Posts
My rats are generally pretty leary of new things. When I introduced a Sputnik/Space Pod to their cage, they didn't use it at all for the first couple weeks.

Wheels can be hit or miss, especially for boys. They're definitely smart enough to figure out how to use it but whether or not they have the motivation is a different issue.

Another thing you can do to help them get more exercise is to remove the ramps. You can use strategically placed perches, ropes and hammocks so your boys have to do more climbing to get around their cage. Boys can be a bit clumsy so you'd want to make sure there's plenty of stuff to catch their fall if they bloose their grip.

You can always put the ramps back in when they're old and start to lose some of their mobility.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just got my new rats a wheel (link below) as I noticed that the papa rat is getting pretty chonky. The three of them (papa and two boys) have a DCN and ramps, etc. and also get a bit of free range time every day or two but I think they are living the good life now and starting to chonk up a bit.
Will they figure out how to run the wheel? I was told the papa rat (Skip) is about 9 months old; don't know how old his 'boys' are maybe 4-5 months? Just a guess.
They eat the Science Selective food (the triangle shaped pieces) because they really seemed to hate the bigger oblong rat block kinds.
I put some little treats on the wheel and they sniffed and got some of the treats but will they eventually figure it out and run on this wheel? It was crazy expensive but is supposed to be safe and big enough. It is 15 inches and solid floor.
Suggestions?

I got my rats a wheel a while ago and they never really used it so i took it out of the cage because it was taking up a lot of room. My rats may have just not been interested in the wheel, I'm not sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts