Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a couple of 10 month old females, and I’ve bought them a wheel as one of them is getting kinda chunky but also as a fun activity for them.
Has anyone had any experience in introducing rats to wheels, as they just don’t seem interested?
Thanks

·
Registered
Rats
57 Posts
Hiya, have your rats experienced a wheel before? Did you get them from a pet shop/ breeder? When I got mine few weeks back from a pet centre they were using the wheel they had there so I purchased one and mine use it. How long have you had them?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hiya, have your rats experienced a wheel before? Did you get them from a pet shop/ breeder? When I got mine few weeks back from a pet centre they were using the wheel they had there so I purchased one and mine use it. How long have you had them?
Hi,
We bought them from a pet shop in late December when they were about 6-8 weeks old. I couldn’t say for sure if they had a wheel back then, but if they did I can’t imagine they would’ve used it much at that age.
They just seem to have a sniff and then walk away.

·
Registered
Rats
57 Posts
Hi,
We bought them from a pet shop in late December when they were about 6-8 weeks old. I couldn’t say for sure if they had a wheel back then, but if they did I can’t imagine they would’ve used it much at that age.
They just seem to have a sniff and then walk away.
They take time to get used to new things, just leave it in there I’m sure when they get the confidence they will be running a marathon lol

·
Registered
Ruben and Charlie (K9s-Mutts) and various large South American cichlids
58 Posts
Hi... A lot of rats seem indifferent to wheels...I've had a few wheel fans and some that ignore it (unlike mice and hamsters who pretty much universally love the wheel). My wheel fans have never had to be encouraged or trained, they just found it and liked it. Of course it might take a few days to figure out that it moves and it is fun... One piece of advice I might give is to make sure it is big enough. Your rats are probably still fairly small, so the 10-12 inch wheels are fine for a while. But when they are grown I get my girls 14-15 inch wheels and I even have a 16 inch wheel for one of my bigger boys. The other boys seem to do well with 15 inch wheels. Rats that might otherwise enjoy the wheels sometimes don't try them if they are too cramped...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts