Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm posting this in this forum because I'm concerned about the health impact of a wheel, so hopefully this is appropriate!

Adopted two girls from a shelter yesterday, the person who runs the shelter told me to make sure to get them a wheel. I'm not going to deny them something if they really enjoy it like that, but I've heard that leaving it in all the time can cause back and neck problems. If I do leave it in the cage for a once and awhile thing, how long should I leave it? Or should I maybe make it a free range activity?

Any advice is appreciated!

·
Registered
604 Posts
I haven't heard anything about time periods of wheel use. It's more the size than the time that causes an issue. It is recommended you get the biggest wheel possible, the ones being advertised as Chinchilla wheels because its the smaller ones that cause the rats to bend abnormally to run. And I'd go for the plastic ones, not the mesh because their tails and toes can get stuck in the mesh wheel. But other than all that I don't think it would be a problem to leave it in all the time. My last girl ran on it throughout the whole night taking breaks to drink water and munch on some goodies. Now my boys will only use it occasionally, but better to have it on hand for them to use when they want! Keeps them occupied when I'm away for sure. =)

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I love wheels. I am a huge fan of them for my rats. They love them and it helps a ton keeping them nice and trim.

Mine have access to the wheel 24/7. They run when they want to.

As long as the wheel is the right size it is perfectly safe. 12" is what you want.

Free range time should still be given :)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks everyone, I bought a 12" plastic wheel for them today and I hope they enjoy it!

I'm trying to think of where I heard that it might be bad for their back/neck, I think it was some youtube videos, they may have been outdated, not sure.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That sounds like where I got confused. Better to be safe than sorry, thanks everyone for helping me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts