Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
Vampira, Elvira
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! So I noticed about a week and a half ago my rat elvira was wheezing and coughing so I made a vet appointment, unfortunately the soonest one that had a vet that worked with rats was December. I still took the appointment but I tried some home remedies to ease her wheezing till then such as dark chocolate, humidifier (not hot air), and keeping my room at the same temp. I also started using purified water in their water bottle. I noticed about 3 days ago that her wheezing and coughing have complete come to a stop and she is more active now. It’s like she was only sick with a like a virus and not a uri? Has anyone had this happen? Is it good or bad? Let me know! :)

· Registered
Oliver Bean, Phyllis, Waffle, Taco, Atlas, Cirrus, Orion
2,721 Posts
Hi and welcome. It could likely be an airborne irritant, like dust from bedding or maybe air freshener or cleaners. Rats are sometimes very sensitive. Hold her to your ear and listen to the 'rat phone'...if you hear wheezing or 'giggling' it could be a mild URI. If not, then count it as a one-off and watch to see if it happens again. Most of the time it's just watching and learning what is normal for your rats.

· Registered
Twig and Sprig 💕
79 Posts
Hi! I recommend giving the rat 0.1 ml of baytril orally every 12 hours for 14 days. Also if you bring the rat in a steamy room, like a bathroom with the shower running for 10-15 minute sessions, that should help. Also putting a fan and or an air purifier in the room should help. I wish you the best of luck and keep me posted!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts