Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep two rats in my science classroom that the kids LOVE. The rats have lived here for around 3 years and are well taken care of and well loved. They get interaction all the time.

Both rats are female and one has developed a tumor on its chest. The tumor continues to grow and is now the size of two walnuts put together. Vanilla (the rats name) appears fine in every other respect. She eats, she is active and does not appear to be in pain.

Can the tumor be removed and if so, what are the chances of success?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Your rats seem pretty old, which is good that they've lived that long and are still doing well. A tumor can sometimes be removed, but just like a human, the success of the surgery is dependent on a lot of factors and a rat at age three may be too old for surgery. Really, though, a vet is the only one that can make that determination. I would recommend taking her to the vet soon.

·
Registered
928 Posts
the vet should give u the choice weather to oporate on your rat or not and to have her put to sleep my vet told me if my daisy had the op she problely wouldnt pull thu and if she did there was a more than 50% chance the tumor would come back. take her 2 the vets as soon as you can. i made the decision to let daisy go and save her alot of pain.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts