Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
One of our female rats had obvious blood in her urine recently. We took her to the vet. She doesn't have any kidney stones (she had an ultrasound) and was put on Baytril for a while in case its a UTI. (Her urine-under-the-microscope didn't conclusively indicate an infection but it was given just in case, as there aren't too many other reasons for blood in urine.) She's finished meds and still has obvious blood in urine, although she is active, eating, interacating with her friends and looking healthy. She doesn't show any squinting or other signs of pain at all, even when she is doing a wee. If we can collect a urine sample it can be sent to the lab for testing, which we hope to do.
Does anyone have experience of this sort of thing? Are there other reasons this might be happening? Kidney disease? I read an article online recently (can't find it now) that said that when rats have blood in their urine it isn't always painful. Anyone know about this? She is 10 months old and had a litter some months ago.

·
Registered
14 Posts
That's an odd one if antibiotics haven't worked. You are best off back at the vet incase it's some sort of tumor. Possible kidney stones

·
Registered
234 Posts
One of our girls had some vaginal bleeding a few months ago. We took her to the vet and they were unable to determine the exact cause (even though our vet has a lot of experience with exotics) so we were given some slides to put a fresh blood sample on if she bled again. She only bled one more time and we were unable to get a sample... we still don’t know why she bled and that was at the beginning of the year, she hasn’t had that issue again though. She didn’t display signs of pain and since that second time, she has been just fine. I know it isn’t exactly the same but sometimes with them being so small, it is very hard to pinpoint what is going on.

I hope your girl is doing alright & that the blood in her urine clears up soon!

·
Registered
14 Posts
One of our girls had some vaginal bleeding a few months ago. We took her to the vet and they were unable to determine the exact cause (even though our vet has a lot of experience with exotics) so we were given some slides to put a fresh blood sample on if she bled again. She only bled one more time and we were unable to get a sample... we still don’t know why she bled and that was at the beginning of the year, she hasn’t had that issue again though. She didn’t display signs of pain and since that second time, she has been just fine. I know it isn’t exactly the same but sometimes with them being so small, it is very hard to pinpoint what is going on.

That sound like it may have been kidney stones, if she's been fine since they may have passed. Hopefully small ones cause that would have been painful 🙁

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yes, if was kidney stones then it would have been painful. Hopefully it wasn’t that but there is no way for us to know now. Thankfully I was able to keep a good eye for any grimacing or fur fluffing and none of that was observed so I like to hope that she was not suffering but animals are great at masking that sort of thing (we had spare pain meds on hand in case she appeared to be in pain).

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Thanks for your reply. You're absolutely right about them being so small and its hard to pinpoint what is going on. Vets are awesome, but they're not magicians! It's interesting that your girl's symptoms went away. I guess you might never know what the reason was. We'll keep a close eye on our girl and see how she goes.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Yeah, it’s been a good 6 months or so but I still have my fears that we will lose her out of the blue from whatever was causing the bleeding. And she’s one of our rescues so we have absolutely no health history or genetic background for her whatsoever & we have her daughter too so I just hope it wasn’t some weird genetic thing 😕

Be sure to let me know how she is doing, good luck to you and her!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts