Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I bought a male rat between the age of 6-8 weeks. He was sneezing a lot when I brought him home and making a lot of noises when he breathed. Five days ago I took him to the vet. My vet gave me some baytril and told me to give 0.5mls to him for 5 days. Today was meant to be his last dose, however as there is still some left in the container I am thinking of giving him more. Today I noticed that he has what appears to be blood on his nose. Is this serious? What can I do to help him? Should I see if I can take him back to the vets? I'm really not sure what to do and don't want him to suffer more than he already is.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Keep giving the medicine,,,see the vet.The red stuff is probably porphyrin, and from what I have learned from my vet , small amounts can the normal,do get him checked.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
5 days really isn't enough for a course of antibiotics nor is baytril the best for a young rat. He'd be better on amoxicillin or septrin as at his age it won't be a myco issue which baytril is best for. I'd speak to the vet about trying one of those, most are ok with trying something else when baytril hasn't worked.

Can you let us know his weight, what strength baytril is he on and what's his dose, some vet material is quite out of date and under dosing won't help at all

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a scale to way him with now, however he was weighed 5 days ago at the vets. His weight then was 125 grams. I'm not sure of the strength of baytril he is on, however I am meant to give him 5 units which is 0.5mls. I will see if I can get him into the vets again, however it might take awhile.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If it's the 2.5% stuff then it's a bit low but not bad. Where are you based? In the us you can get a lot of antibiotics online

1 - 7 of 7 Posts