Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oreo is 14 months old and has been otherwise healthy. She is the one who never gets a myco flareup and hasn't had any lumps yet until now.

We played with her on Monday and saw nothing. Tuesday morning we woke up and there was a grape sized lump between her top nipples. Her top nipples are practically on her neck. I guess on rats they can go pretty high up. So this grape sized lump is smack dab in between the top nipples and the bottom part of her throat.

The lump seemed extremely soft but not like your typical tumor. In my experience, tumors feel like a little movable ball. This was softer than a tumor but didn't completely roll between your fingers.

Since Chai was going in for a surgery that day (Tuesday) anyway, I brought Oreo in. The vet took a tissue sample and it came back as normal healthy tissue. Not a tumor. Not a cyst. Not an abscess. The vet said it seemed like swelling and told us to see if it goes down. It hasn't.

Anyone experience anything like this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
If it's not a tumor, yst, or abcess, it should disappear. I've had a fewrats that developed things like that. As long as it doesn't grow and she doesn't seem to be bothered it might be best to just leave it alone.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh shoot. I don't know why I said 14 months. She is 26 months. I'm pretty sure it will go down but I am surprised it hasn't yet.

·
Registered
17 Posts
26 months... 2.5 years. Rats age about 30 years to our 1. That would be about 66 years old for a person.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts