Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rat Edwin’s feet keep swelling up. The foot that is swollen varies but it is recurring and now he has had one front foot swollen for several weeks and both his back feet also look swollen and slightly red/irritated on the bottom. I started him on baytril/doxy because that had seemed to help in the past with the foot swelling when given for URI. This time the meds don’t seem to have helped the swelling. He is on soft, cloth bedding. I have been keeping it extra clean but he does like to pee in his bed. 🙄
I have also been treating topically with fresh aloe, veteracin and coconut oil. Any insights or suggestions would be appreciated. I am planning to take him to the vet soon as it doesn’t appear to be clearing up on it’s own. I had considered also a good sensitivity? I thought about trying an allergen free diet to see if that might help...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you done any research into bumblefoot? (RatGuide link)
Hi. Yes I have. I am considering that it could be that and have been following the treatments recommended for that. There aren’t full lesions but the feet one front and one hind) are swollen and the back ones look a bit red. I am going to make a vet appt because they look painful. 🙁. I have been giving him a low does of metacam daily while they look swollen. I think he should prob go on a diet too because he’s a little chunky.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts