Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new baby rat some time last month and he is cute as can be. I named him Thor. He is super friendly and loves to run around and play in my bedroom with my other rats where my dog is as well. It's really great because she leaves the rats alone and they don't bother her either except for Thor! He obsessively goes up to her no matter how many times I move him away. I thought he was biting her but it looks like he may be trying to obsessively groom her instead. Well she gets annoyed and moves positions and when he doesn't stop she will get up and try to walk away from him. But this is where it is frustrating- he follows her around to the point of where she is literally running away from him. I have picked him up and put him in his cage for a few but as soon as I let him back out he runs after the dog again. What should I do? My dog will cry for me if I try to leave her in the living room and I have roommates. Here is a picture of Thor:
20150101_164345.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
One of my rats is obsessed with all my dogs too(we have five) ! But I don't let them run around together but if I'm just playing with her with the cage door open the dogs will come say hello and she just tries to jump onto them or jump out of the cage to go play with them lol

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Maybe try a forced interaction as long as your dog is obedient enough to stay still? I think that as soon as he gets the grooming out of his system he may be less bothersome to her. I forced all of my dogs to lay down and let my rats check them out, fortunately for them, they can leave the room if they want lol. The only dog that they bother now is my chihuahua, but that's her fault because she tries to play and then gets freaked out when the rat wants to play back. Just remember that having rats and dogs together can be risky no matter how well you know your dog.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is your dog playful? Almost all are
Maybe this your teach your dog to love gently playing with your rats, instead of just leaving them alone?
This is how animals play, they chase after each other.

I dont know the details like you do, but it sounds like it might not necessarily be a bad thing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also does anyone know if linking to youtube is against the rules of the forum? and thanks bloomington bob :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I would be very careful with this, looking at the video whilst it looks cute your rat is clearly trying to bite the dog. WHilst it wouldnt really bother your dog in most cases if he gets bitten on the nose it will hurt a lot and i wouldnt blame him from snapping back, which would mean a badly injured or dead rat. Whilst it may seem nice for your rats and dogs to be friends it only takes one moment of natural bheaviour for you to have a dead rat and/or injured dog. Whilst they can be wonderfully trained they still have instincts under the surface and 1 mistake where they slip is all it takes.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Nice video!In my opinion the rat seems very playful and is not trying to bite the dog at all!Remember to stay cautious and closely supervise them during playtime though.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi guys I know it probably looked like he was biting, but whenever they aren't running around like that you can tell that he is actually trying to groom her. I always supervise them well.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts