Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a pet rat and some time he is out i am out or sleeping. How can i let him come out play more?

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Your rat should adjust to your times quite easily. When you are around and able to let him out, wake him up. Eventually he will be awake when you are and will sleep when you are asleep or out.

Or, if you have a spare room that you can "rat proof" where he will be safe and able to play, you could do that... like a closet or a bathroom, where he can't escape to the rest of the house.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
get your rat a rattie friend, he will be sooooo much happier... unless you're like holly and can devote almost 100% of your time to your rat. they are social animals and thrive when they have a friend with them, and that way you wont feel guilty if you cant play with your rat all the time. of course, get a same-sex rattie, or you will have lots of little surprises in approx 21 days!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
sorry thread hijack here!!

i have 6 rats (5 girls and 1 boy) but the boy lives alone. i took him off a friend who didn't have enough time for him at this point in her life. I felt sorry for him as he was never picked up because he was apparently aggressive. he wasn't at all, but had been brought from "pets at home" which could have accounted for his fearfulness in that he was never handled until he was brought home.

he originally had brother in his first house but he was sick so was put to sleep. now i have Mario on his own i am waiting to get him neutured. is there anything i can do for him in the interim that will make his life a bit more social? i play with him lots but he's not much of a player, he looks at me like i am mad. he doesn't sit on me much, he is more interested in trying to get to my girls!

many thanks, jay

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Take him out of the room with the girls in it and carry him about elsewhere. He'll have no real choice in the matter. :)

·
Registered
67 Posts
I find boys arent as playful as girls... maybe adding more things to his cage will engage his mind. Try threading veg etc on some cotton and hang it or stuff a toilet roll holder with tissues and a treat.....they cant resist food most of the time :)

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
kerkam said:
I find boys arent as playful as girls... maybe adding more things to his cage will engage his mind. Try threading veg etc on some cotton and hang it or stuff a toilet roll holder with tissues and a treat.....they cant resist food most of the time :)
Hmmm...someone better tell my boys this fact!!!

Get a feather toy and see if he'll attack that. It often distracts the most timid rats when all they are thinking is CATCH AND KILL the Feather Monster...hehehehe.

Lots of Out time while waiting, lots of interaction with you as well will socialize him while waiting for his neuter and the 3 weeks afterwards that you have to wait before introducing him to your girls. :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
thanks for all the tips guys!

i have treated Mario with Spot On cos i think he had mites...he has stopped itching which is good, i felt so sorry for him :?

lilspaz68: i like the idea of the feather toy...i would love to see him being more playful! my flatmate is scared of him with his red eyes so he doesn't see lots of different human friends...poor little honey. however two of my friends have fallen in love with him and engage with him lots when they visit so he is doing well! i have to wait three weeks after the neutering to introduce him to the girls? is that because he will still be "virile"?! sorry, i have only had girls before him, i have no idea! :wink:

Kerkam: i like the idea of threading veg...he will like that cos he loves his food! and a toilet roll holder pinate! thanks very much! :D

Forensic: i will definitely try and take him to another room, since i have sorted by bedroom out i can play with him in there. he is just so funny, he beetles about and just pays me no attention what so ever!! i try and tickle his face and neck and i can keep his attention for about a minute, but then he is off! i've noticed he uses his nose much more than my girls...like when i have been holding the girls he sniffs deeply in that area of my jumper...its really weird! :p

thanks again guys!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts