Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was making little catnip pillows for my relatives kitties, and I was wondering if any one has ever given catnip to rats? Mine seem to like sniffing my fingers when I've been cooking with herbs and spices, so my husband and I were wondering if they would get any enjoyment out of little pillows of catnip to sniff, chew and destroy.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I couldn't see that it would do any damage at all. Catnip is natural. :) Wild rats would encounter it in the wild. As I said, I've given the rats the occasional "cat pillow" toys that have catnip in them. Never encountered a problem.

I'm searching around and seeing some say that rats hate the smell of catnip. I should let the rats know, that have been known to cuddle up with the cat pillow toys. ;) On the flip side, I also some saying found that some rats love it as much as cats. Okay, you can't have it both ways! :roll:

Honestly? It's natural. It's a member of the mint family. It's not on the dangerous plant or food lists for rats. I wouldn't worry. If you're the paranoid type, then don't use it. On another forum, many rat owners use - even in digging boxes - it with no problems.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll have to consider that. On the other hand, I could just use mint, a scent I prefer to catnip anyway. Catnip makes me sneeze.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts