Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By far the best online store I've found for rat supplies is rat rations, based in the UK. However, now they do not ship anywhere outside of their home area. I live in South Korea now, so I'm looking for a good alternative to their site for pet supplies. Does anyone know of another good online store that will ship internationally?

In particular, I'm interested in the pre-made hand mixes. I used to make my own, but many of the ingredients are impossible to find in South Korea.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can I start by asking what food is missing in South Korea?
Well most of the grains are very hard to find. For example, anything micronized. Dry goods in general are difficult to find, at a reasonable price. Bulk sections are not common in grocery stores. Even whole wheat flour is very rare, let alone barley or oats or other such things. Dry vegetables are also super expensive. Any legumes, such as chick peas, or small vegetables like peas.

Whew, grocery shopping is very limited. Mostly there are select, Korean vegetables (which I buy seasonally from local vendors), meats, and a lot of heavily processed, packaged food.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
What kind of other animal foods can you get around there, i know people that use horse, pig and pigmy goat mixes over here as bases and i use rabbit and pigeon food alongside the micronised grains (which are easy to get hold of here in the UK). They arent perfect but often with a bit of blanaicng you can make a good mix

Can you get paddy rice (rice still in its husk), this is one of the best grains alongside barley and should be fairly pleantiful around asia. Are there any other grains or legumes you can get hold of (soya beans maybe?). Im not the best at regional foods so im guessing here.

Unfortunatly other than the rat rations european store i dont think theres anything else like that around. Thats not to say if you found a good feed or grain supplier over there you couldnt help one start up. Rat rations was a parrot food supplier when i found it years ago. With pleanty of talking to them and some advertising on there behalf over here they soon were doing as much rat business as parrot, now i think there rat side has taken over somewhat. John (the guy that runs it) still blames me for it lol.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
As rats live in Korea, most likely everything you need to feed them is there somewhere... but yes, some things are going to be pricey. On the other hand shipping is going to be expensive too. Your most likely talking air freight rates and/or bringing food products through customs. I'm not familiar with South Korean customs but your shipper should know.

I'd try and get in touch with local rat owners and see what they are doing. I worked with some fish breeders in South East Asia some years ago, and they were mass breeding mosquito larvae as fish food. Now that might seem odd to most of us, but it was a great source of protein and it cost them basically nothing. I know some folks might see whatever they are doing in South Korea as outside of the box, but it's a different box and the folks that keep rats there most likely have already adapted to the locally available foods and you can bet they aren't Fed Exing in their rats meals.

Best luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts