Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, guys. So, a few hours ago, I was playing with my boys and everything was alright. I put them back on their cage and went to do a few choirs.
I took a nap, and when I woke up, there were some considerably big ants walking on their cage. I'm not sure of their species, or if they bite. But they were quite big for my baby rats, who are around 3 or four years old. They were fast asleep while I was desperate trying to remove all of the ants. The rats seem to be okay, though.

I know rats are omnivorous. I'm just concerned if the ants can do any harm to them if they get bit, since they are rather young.

Thanks in advance. xx

·
Registered
452 Posts
In my opinion the ants are probably harmless to the rats, even though they are young (I assume you meant 3-4 months old?)
From what I know, ants will only become a serious threat to a rat if the ants are in huge numbers all attacking the animal at once, which doesnt seem to be the case here.
Still, its not going to be beneficial to have ants around the rats living area, so you should probably think about using mint or something to stop the ants from approaching the rats cage. Or find out which hole they are using to come in through and block it or get some ant poison paste (just make sure you put this where the rats can NEVER reach). If you start getting a few ants, the rest of the colony will follow as the first few ants would have put down a scent trail to lead them to a potential food source. And you REALLY dont want a long line of ants marching in to your house non stop haha.
Ive personally used anti-ant paste (slow working poison that you put on the ant trail, the ants gather it into their crop and take it back to the colony where it gets circulated around the whole colony. When the poison eventually gets fed to the queen ant and she dies, the colony pretty much dies too.) and this was a very efficient and clean method to eliminate ant problem, since all the ants died in the colony and you didnt get a single ant corpse in the house.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts