Rat Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would Rats and Degu's get along? Or fight?
I have a female rat. I've been looking to get her another rat friend. But I want a Degu too. But I can't find anything if they'd get along or not. I wouldn't want to get anything that would harm her.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Mmm... Rats attack other rodents, like mice and such.

Uhhhh. A picture is worth a thousand words but maybe not the words you want to hear. Ide wait for more replies.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Like I said, They most likely will play together if they were raised together but I wouldnt put them in the same cage.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't put them in together. You just never know...if it WERE possible, the best way to go about it is to socialize them both from babies, as you would cats and dogs, etc. But again, my motto is, don't mix different species. There's no need. If you want a cagemate for your rat, stick with another rat. Get a degu too, but keep in a separate cage :)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Lol anytime ;) It's what I'm good at!

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wouldn't keep them in the same cage.
Just playmates.
I just wouldn't want them to attack eachother.
I know enough to keep different species in different cages =]

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm glad to hear that! You'd be surprised at what some ppl do. Like in pet stores. The reptile ppl get REALLY upset over what places like Petsmart and Petco do, about mixing amphibs and reptiles together. It's really quite ridiculous.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Lunachick said:
The reptile ppl get REALLY upset over what places like Petsmart and Petco do, about mixing amphibs and reptiles together. It's really quite ridiculous.
Hey! lol....thats me sometimes! Some People do stupid things like mixing species!

·
Registered
236 Posts
You mix different species?

·
Registered
941 Posts
No! I was saying that I cant stand when People do mix...I must of read your post wrong sorry...*reads post again*...lol...

·
Registered
236 Posts
Oh ok lmao! I misunderstood you then. Sorry, I haven't had much sleep!

·
Registered
798 Posts
Not keeping them in the same cage totally defeats the purpose of getting your rat the degu. I would opt for either getting your rat a same sex friend, or getting your rat a same sex friend and TWO degus if you want a degu all that badly.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts