Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey this is just a quick question that is on my mind. i was wondering... can rats go outdoors, outside and crawl around? i have heard about ppl who have taken their rats out before, but is it truely safe? and if it is o.k what are some precautions i could take? any posts would be greatly appreciated! thanks. =]

·
Registered
293 Posts
how fast does she run around? i used to take my hairless out and let her run around all the time, most of the time they sniff around then run back to you then go sniff another area and repeat. its fun to watch ;p. just be careful of where you are and watch out for animals that can hurt it.a good idea is to block off a place in the yard with something...so she cant go far.

·
Registered
174 Posts
also be careful to watch the sky. don't let your rats go far from you. we have a lot of squirrels around where I live, and I've seen a hawk take one when the squirrel was standing on the sidewalk not ten feet in front of me. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hrm, was going to make a new post, but this pretty much fits in here. Any thoughts on those little harnesses at pet shops? Supposedly they will allow you to take small animals on walks, it mentions ferrets and something else, not sure if it was a rat. But it looks as though it would fit on a rattie.

well, anyway, assuming it fit correctly, think a rattie would be alright walking around in one on a leash? Anyone tried it? I wouldn't wanna upset Pinkie or George, but it just seems so adorable <33

-Tryxx

·
Registered
174 Posts
My understanding is that most rats hate the leashes/harnesses. Mine do. If you've got some laid back rats, they might go for it, but most rats can slip right out of those things. I would only use them if your rats don't mind--try it and if they freak out, don't take them outside with it.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the posts on the outdoors! and about the harnesses I bought the size at the pet store suggest for rats and its too small for my big boy, so i pretty much have to buy the size suggested ffor a ferret or rabbit. lol i mean my boy is large and incharge.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts