Rat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are nuts like the kind that you get in a mixed bag ok for rats plain (as a treat)? This bag includes walnuts, chestnuts, and two others I can't identify.

I figured they'd be ok, but now I have one rat that seems to be quite sick. It could be unrelated (My current best guess is she had a stroke or something similar. She seems to have lost control of her front right paw and is tilting in that direction), but I wanted to ask and see if anyone has any experience.

(And don't worry, she'll be going to the vet tomorrow)

·
Registered
549 Posts
brazil nuts, almonds and hazelnuts? usually those are included in nut mixes

I don't really know anything about rats eating them though...

I hope your girlie gets better

·
Registered
393 Posts
Last I checked raw nuts are just fine. You'll want to go with unsalted and unsweeted etc, though if they do have some salt or something else it won't kill them to have one every now and then as a special treat. Pretty sure walnuts and chestnuts are fine. I'd personally avoid macadamia just because I know it causes problems in dogs and cats (could very well have no issues in rats but I wouldn't want to risk it). I believe there are a few concerns with almonds as far as rats too. But it's listed as something to feed with caution not something that you can't feed at all. Apparently it's high in oxalates which bind up calcium. I also read something about the the kernel in the pit containing cyanide. It's probably not enough that one almond or even a few would do any harm, you just don't want to overfeed them.

But honestly you don't want to overfeed them anyway, as nuts in general are rather high in protein and fat. Because of that tey should really just be occasional treats even though they can have some great nutritional benefits (great healthy treat!).

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I just threw in a walnut and one other kind. Thought they'd enjoy chewing it open.

Like I said, I doubt that was the problem. But I'm glad to know I can now rule it out. I hope she makes it through the night.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I used to feed almonds and hazelnuts in the shell, sometimes walnuts. They were a hit! I can't recall anything bad happening to them after almonds, but I was a totally different rat owner back in the day, too... Thank goodness for the mighty informational power of the internet!

·
Registered
393 Posts
CaptainFlow said:
I used to feed almonds and hazelnuts in the shell, sometimes walnuts. They were a hit! I can't recall anything bad happening to them after almonds, but I was a totally different rat owner back in the day, too... Thank goodness for the mighty informational power of the internet!
Keep in mind that the fact that nothing bad happens after feeding something doesn't necessarily mean damage isn't being done. Toxin build up can lead to problems down the line for instance. Is a rat going to keel over and die if you feed it an almond? Nah. But if you feed enough of them it could have adverse effects eventually. Moderation, common sense, and some research when in doubt are the keys. Almonds are not on the forbidden foods list, they are just something to feed with caution.

·
Registered
393 Posts
cjshrader said:
Yeah I just threw in a walnut and one other kind. Thought they'd enjoy chewing it open.

Like I said, I doubt that was the problem. But I'm glad to know I can now rule it out. I hope she makes it through the night.

Her problems definitely sound neurological. How is she acting and what symptoms is she exhibiting? Is she eating, drinking, and eliminating? If she seems really bad off, is there an emergency vet you could get her to tonight?

·
Registered
353 Posts
just stay away from raw peanuts...those are bad for them. i know that for a fact cuz its in the things rats shouldnt eat at all..... like i said though roasted ones are ok....i mistakenly thought all raw nuts were bad, then i looked back at the lists i have bookmarked on my computer....just raw peanuts are bad.

·
Registered
549 Posts
SamsterAndRocky said:
just stay away from raw peanuts...those are bad for them. i know that for a fact cuz its in the things rats shouldnt eat at all..... like i said though roasted ones are ok....i mistakenly thought all raw nuts were bad, then i looked back at the lists i have bookmarked on my computer....just raw peanuts are bad.
hehe peanuts aren't 'nuts' silly, they're a legume

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
it's like how starfish are technically now supposed to be referred to as "seastars" since they are not fish. anyway, i got a whole walnut for my girls, i'll throw it in later and see what they do. :D i know hamsters will pretty much go crazy and won't give up until it's open...

·
Registered
532 Posts
SamsterAndRocky said:
glindella said:
hehe peanuts aren't 'nuts' silly, they're a legume
than they should be called peabeans or something.
Haha, I could sure go for a peabean butter sandwich.
I'm gonna start calling them that now :D :D

·
Registered
216 Posts
Oh boy, I have given my girls tiny bits of roasted almond butter to lick off of my finger as a treat. I guess I will stop that. The cyanide thing is kinda freaking me out. I knew that apple seeds have cyanide, but not almonds.

The other thing they like is cashew macademia nut butter. Guess that's out too. I think I will go get some straight cashew nut butter.
I am so glad I found this forum, my rats are too. :)

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Unfortunately my rat did pass away, but I am very sure it was completely unrelated to the walnut. All the other rats had some too and they are perfectly fine.

I actually think she had a stroke, but the timing of the walnut looked suspicious at first.

·
Registered
393 Posts
cjshrader said:
Unfortunately my rat did pass away, but I am very sure it was completely unrelated to the walnut. All the other rats had some too and they are perfectly fine.

I actually think she had a stroke, but the timing of the walnut looked suspicious at first.

I'm so sorry cjshrader :(

May she rest in peace.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts