Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I have my girls out for play time, I put out a couple dishes of water for them to drink. I noticed that they not only drink the water, but they play with it. They'd stick their noses in the water, and all of them would dip their entire front legs in and splash around a bit. Although pea fishing hasn't been met with very high enthusiasm from most of my rats, yesterday I decided to try out a rattie pool. I filled the bottom plastic pan of one of my Coast Cages with a couple inches or so of water, put a ladder in there so they could get in and out easily in the deep end and the shallow end (my bed is ******).

All of the girls love it! They all went in, and would walk around (keeping their butts up to prevent them from getting wet - it's so funny to watch them walk like that!) and stick their noses in the water. A favorite activity seems to be jumping in the pool to get their feet wet, and then climbing up under my shirt :lol: Coconut and Sakura both will close their eyes and stick their faces in and walk around like that. Coconut actually kind of dived under, getting her whole head wet. They shake off like little dogs and then groom the water off each other ^_^

I remember a post a while back about letting rats swim in water deep enough for their feet to not touch the bottom if they want. Since a couple of my rats seem like they'd like it, I may want to try it sometime. I'm a little worried about letting them get their faces and ears wet. I assumed that since I've heard their ears should stay dry, the rats wouldn't get their ears wet, until Coconut went under. Will they be okay if they do get their heads wet, or should I just take the water away? They have so much fun I don't want to make them stop playing in it, but I don't want their ears to get infected or anything.

I would have taken pics, but I can't find the charger for my camera battery ;_; I will as soon as I can though, they're all so cute! And playing with water really wears them out - after 20 minutes or so of it today, they all crashed and are actually all sleeping at once 8O

·
Registered
638 Posts
Augustus is a water hater, and Buscemi is a water lover. This means for play, baths, everything.

I think it's OK for their ears and head to get wet, as long as they don't remain submerged for a long time. After all, they can groom their own ears. (If I'm wrong about this, please let me know.)

Boo loves to hang onto the water bowl with his hind feet, and "swim" with the front of his body and his front feet. It's so hilarious! I've been trying to get a picture, but haven't had any luck, yet.

I tried to get Gus to fish for corn, but he figured out a tip right away: knock the container over, and then you don't have to get wet in order to get to the corn.

Boo ALWAYS loves anything to do with water, but the only time Gus really appreciated it was when we were having terribly hot water, and I'd give him (and Boo) a "dunk," just to cool them down.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts