Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my rats has Been attacking the other rat for no reason and they squeal a lot when they but no blood is drawn or anything. I noticed that the the rat that is being attacked never moves from his corner at the top of the cage. Today I had them out for free range and put the meaner rat back first bc he was trying to escape and kept the other one with me. When I put the other rat back the attacker rat immediately started fighting with him and chased him all the way back up to his corner. I was wondering if this is a normal behavior or I should be concerned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
From what I have experienced, if your rats are younger, they will tend to squabble and chase as they are establishing which rat is the dominant rat, however when your rats are a bit older then fighting tends to worry me slightly more. If the dominant rat is not causing any physical harm to the other then I wouldn’t be too worried unless your less dominant rat becomes lethargic and starts acting strangely eg. Not cleaning, not eating, as he may then be suffering mentally and you may want to consider separating them and reintroducing them or getting your more dominant rat neutered. Make sure you are checking your nervous rat’s physical condition regularly and if he shows any signs of harm, eg. Scratches, bites, open wounds, you will need to separate them and then think of your next move from there. If your eats are chasing each other make sure there are no large, uninterrupted drops within their cage as they could fall and obtain and internal injury. The best way to do this is fill the cage with loads of hammocks. Hope this helps you and your rats stop fighting soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
One of my rats is biting the other on the neck. It hasn’t drawn any blood but the other seems frightened and squeals loudly. Twix (the biter) only goes for her neck or tail and snickers ties to push her away and runs off. Twix follows and continues. I have split them up but I continuously take them out for playtime and allow them to be together. What should I do?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Here's an article on rat body language:
Major Rat Body Language - RattyRat - JoinRats

Does your rat show any of the signs of fear/pain, or does she avoid Twix? If so you can attempt to reintroduce them slowly, while carefully watching each other body language to see how they react towards each other. Also, while they're fighting don't separate unless you see them shedding blood or pulling out fur.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Here's an article on rat body language:
Major Rat Body Language - RattyRat - JoinRats

Does your rat show any of the signs of fear/pain, or does she avoid Twix? If so you can attempt to reintroduce them slowly, while carefully watching each other body language to see how they react towards each other. Also, while they're fighting don't separate unless you see them shedding blood or pulling out fur.
she doesnt avoid Twix exactly (only when twix is actively trying to bite her). Thank you, i will read the article and try to reintroduce them. I am also changing their cage today so t maybe that the cage smell of Twix and she is a bit territorial...

·
Registered
227 Posts
It is hard to tell when rats a being dramatic or their actually hurt, sometimes when my younger rats get the zoomies they get they're older sister annoyed and then when she jumps on them they let out dramatic squeals, but they love each other.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts