Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got 3 female rats from a breeder, they're just over 7 weeks old. Everyone on the internet says that rats are very clean and tidy.

But mine are not. They just go anywhere, in their beds where they sleep, on each other, on me. They smell super bad because they're just so absolutely messy.

I don't mind cleaning their bedding regularly, but I'd really rather they didn't just pee all over me and my stuff when I let them out. 馃槄

Is it possible to train them to only go to the toilet in their cage? If so, how?

Registered
Litter box training is a thing - but it's not fool proof.
Find a litter box, I bought mine from amazon but when they were real little, I just used a small bowl (one they couldn't simply tip over)
I use critter litter in mine (again the options are almost limitless)
Set up the litter box in a corner of the cage.
Find some poop in the cage and place it in the litter box (I find it's better to start with a clean cage, so after grabbing some sample, clean the cage)
Add a pea rock to encourage urination.
Cross fingers.

Registered
I should mention .... I have three girls.... Turvy is really good with the litter box (I got her at 6 weeks old and she's always had a litter box).
Gigi is a rescue and she's hit or miss.
Susie is also a rescue and she's ok with poops but I haven't seen much evidence of her using the box for pee.

Registered
I agree with the others, but one other thing I'll note is that rats don't have huge bladders, especially when young. So if you are getting your rats out for 30+ minutes especially after they ust wake up then they just can't hold it and will likely have to go. To avoid this you can bring a small travel cage with some litter from the main cage in it for them to go back to and potty in, or leave the main cage open for them to go back to potty in. Ever since I started leaving my cage open during free-range I haven't had even baby rats full pee or poop outside the cage - yes they mark some, but this is very different than full pottying and it makes a world of difference for them to be able to go back and potty when they want.

Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
Others have mentioned and encouraged litter training, which I agree with. It has been very successful for me and both my girls keep the poop and varying levels of pee in the litter box. Just wanted to add my input :)

Registered
We have rescue rats that poo in the litter tray but we鈥檙e in their hammocks which is annoying as have to wash every couple of days.
weeing on you maybe justboy dribble which is them marking yoh as your own, ours didn鈥檛 thid lots at first but now they don鈥檛 as we are accepted as theirs x

1 - 7 of 7 Posts