Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's so neat. My girls always calm me down whem I mad or stressed. All I have to do it open up the cage and do that little noise I make when I'm calling them over, and they come and greet me, and it's like everything's okay again.

And not only for me. I just had to babysit 4 year old twin cousins, both girls, both not-so-polite when their mom IS around, and they slept over to play with my little brother. When their mommy dropped them off and left again, they were both crying. So, I brought Mimzy out and set her on the floor. Their little faces lit up, and they were happy within seconds. "Awww! Wook at the wat! She's hiding under the chair!" "Come out hewe, wittle wat!" Mimzy didn't mind, they're very sweet with the girls (but not with my cat, heh). Later that night, everyone was asleep except me and Krista, the smaller of the twins (they're fraternal). She was crying really quiet and saying she wanted mommy. So I was freaking out, like, do I call her mom? Do I get MY mom up? And then- of course! So I got Zita back out (since she's calmer and less likely to run around everywhere) and put her on Krista's tummy, and she felt a lot better. About three minutes later we were both asleep.

And on a side note, almost every little kid I know is in love with the girls XD My little brother is mad because when his friends come over and see the cage they always want to play with the rats and not him :lol:

·
Registered
69 Posts
aawwww they are gr8 at calming people down

rat-therapy isnt a bad idea, i can actually see it working :D

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
I know people use cats and dogs as learning aids for children with disabilities and/or learning difficulties.

I'm sure they could throw a lap-cuddling rat or two in there :D

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Ration1802 said:
I know people use cats and dogs as learning aids for children with disabilities and/or learning difficulties.

I'm sure they could throw a lap-cuddling rat or two in there :D
You know, I was thinking that exact same thing the other day! I saw an ad on Craigslist the other day (I really need to stop, but you can bet how that's going!), and it was an info hour about learning how to get into therapy with your pet. They didn't list rats specifically, but I personally don't think it would be too much of a stretch! These guys are great, I bet they have all sorts of therapy potential!

The craigslist thing, if anyone's near the Portland area and would want to go...
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pet/560131912.html

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i think therapy with rats for children would be great but i don't think it would work as well for adults, they will already have a stigma ingrained on them for many many years (though i suppose we will get old eventually some day and seeing as i don't like dogs i would much rather have rat therapy!)

however its not a new idea. we have a member here that got rats as therapy for his autistic son. his son has since comes leaps and bounds with his disability and they have a few rats of their own (ot just their son's). so it does work. i know it works great for me too. i have friends now that when i have bad day they tell me to go home and cuddle my rats, so i do and the day suddenly isn't as bad anymore. my boyfriend will plop a rat on my shoulder when i have to deal with something particularly stressful too. now, just to convince my teachers to let me have a rat in class while i'm writting exams to lower my arousal levels and be able to do better in the test! you know i may be able to pull that off in a psych course... hmm...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts