Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 female rats that I've had for several months now. They are fairly young, and usually very vibrant. Godiva is a fancy rat, Jasue is a Dumbo rat.
I've noticed this week they seem different. They nip at me, they are lethargic. Their eyes are crusty, and they are extremely thin. I don't know what is wrong with them! Please, what should I do to help them?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Re: Rats are unwell....

They will likely need to see a vet to see why they are presumably not eating.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Rats are unwell....

Well, they were dehydrated. Their water bottle got clogged up somehow, and they couldn't get any water....I never suspected that, because they had water in their bottles, but I noticed when I gave them their baths, their skin was staying pinched. So now that they have a new water bottle, they are doing much better. I also did some major cleaning on their cage, and changed their bedding type, and they no longer have crusties on their eyes and paws. They seem to be doing much better, and are eating well now, though they are still thin at the moment.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Poor girls! I'm glad you found the problem, and that they're doing better now!

This isn't the first time I've heard of rats (or other small animals) becoming dehydrated from problems with water bottles. Everyone should keep a close eye on them, just to make sure.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts