Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i asked my teacher if i could bring the girls to school on friday and he said no. i proceeded to tell him that they don't bite and he said "do you have a special kind?" i told him that rats only bite if you give them a reason too, i told him a bit about their personalities, and told him they loved giving kisses and stuff. then i again asked if they could come in on friday, again he said no. i asked why then he said "because they can come in next friday" yay!!

can anyone give ideas on what i should say? im gonna say the whole how they're misunderstood creatures, they make great pets, compare them to hamsters, tell them how they're sort of like mini dogs.

only one of my friends will be aloud to hold them, she's met them before a few times. she'll be my "assistant" in helping out with them (holding and stuff) i don't want any other people holding them unless they have experience because i've read horror stories of people letting classmates hold them and they mistook a claw for a bite then threw the poor thing, and i don't want that happening. i'll take them around so everyone can pet them.

so, anymore suggestions?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Look through the 'Interesting Rat Facts' sticky. Probably tons of fun stuff there.

And you may want to refute a few myths, just for fun. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Me myself I've done that the kids were mean to my rat. They'd pick on him just for fun in his cage spitting spit wads and such at him if the teacher wasn't in the room. Poor guy was almost dieing of fright. I had to call my mom to come pick him up since they were so mean to him. I'd double think about it.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Tell everyone ahead of time to see how they'll react and firmly lay down some ground rules for your babies.

·
Registered
261 Posts
in third grade, my teacher had six rats. i gave her the idea and she hates rats so of corse i had to at least beg her for four months and finaly she let me. though we had them as class pets, my teacher made me take the whole responsibility for them. they are dead now but in forth grade i had to come to her class and miss my lessons just to take care of them. in second grade, i did the same thing as you plan to do. they petted boogie gently, 'my old girl was around at the time. look at my signature' and asked to hold her. of corse i said no because of the same reason you were thinking. if i become a teacher when i grow up, i will ask the principal if i can have seven rats as class pets.

say this:
rats are better than cats and dogs or any other animal on the planet and watch 'em scream at you saying rats are smelly and stupid and dogs and cats are better like my classmates do.

what grade are you in?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Let your ratties be for a little while and just have the class observe them. After a while it will be more than evident they are not the smelly, filthy creatures they have the reputations of being. Show the class how ratties clean themselves in a OCD catlike manner; nobdy things cats are digusting, do they? ;)

·
Registered
221 Posts
Perhaps if you have a leash & harness you can let them walk around a bit (if they are comfortable with that sort of thing)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Be sure to tell them before had to keep quite. I brought Noah in to a palaeontology course because we were studying the fossils of an ancient rodent. He was a bit scared because of the noise.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rattusnorvegicus- im in 7th grade

those are all good suggestions, unfortunately i dont have a harness :(
if anybody tries to scare them then someone's gonna get hurt real bad

i'll check out the interesting facts thread

·
Registered
97 Posts
My daughter took Turfle in to her class about 3 weeks after we brought her home. Her class LOVED the rat so much that 6 of her class mates asked for "pocket" pets for christmas. Now there is a club for kids with pocket pets in her school. Even her teacher brought a rattie home with her. My daughter had so much enthusiasm for Turfle that all her classmates fell head over heels for her. Now, every time I go to pick her up, all her friends ask "Where is Turfle?"
I suggest that whatever you talk about with your rattie, that you be really excited about it. Try not to be too scared as your sweety will pick up on that and be a bit skiddish....and that is just what people think of with rats.
Oh BTW...my daughter is in 4th grade.
Good luck!!! :wink:

·
Registered
261 Posts
if someone does, says, anything offencive to you and you rattie, sock them in the face, and i mean it.

because rats are rats, doesn't mean they are smelly and moldy and stinky and stupid.

tell em' this: rats are the smartest rodent and one of the smartest animals in the world. they are the cleanest animal/rodent becuse they grom themselves whenever they can. only sewer rats are the kind of rats that get into alota trouble. rats rarely bite, unless you give them a reason to.

rat_rascal~ i am in 4th grade

·
Registered
97 Posts
Where as most of us would probably like to smack somebody for rudely saying something really stupid, actually smacking them is considered battery and can get you expelled from school if not arrested. I suggest, if some comment really upsets you, to get home and beat up a stuffed animal or go out and play a vigorous game of some sort. This way, you can get out the aggression without hurting anybody or getting expelled. Believe me, I have had to play quite a lot of exhausting hockey games from hearing the oppinions of others. I teach this to all the students, including my daughter, that I have during field trips. :wink:

·
Registered
411 Posts
My son also wants to take his rats to school, but I worry about the rats catching an illness, there are so many colds going around this time of year. I'm not sure if I'm just paranoid, though.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi dragonegg..this is what I found about rats catching a cold.....

Rarely, some viruses can cause respiratory symptoms in rats, but they can't get the common cold or any cold that a human has. the most common cause of respiratory illness in rats in bacterial infection. You can pass certain strep bacteria to your rat and it is always a good idea to wash your hands before and after handling your rat whether you are sick or not.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Don't let anyone hold your rats - many people will throw a rat even if it just licks them or "mouths" them, screaming "IT BIT ME!"

My friends are in college (like me) and when they first got licked by Panda, they jerked their hands away super fast - if they would have been holding him, he would have been SPLAT against a wall. People of any age can be sissy chickens when it comes to ratties ;)

Good luck on your presentation, and remind everyone that if they have nothing nice to say, then they shouldn't say anything at all

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
:) I hope your class loves your ratties. Maybe you can use some of the information on the forum to make a small packet on basic care for pet rats, and make a copy for everyone in your class (or have your teacher make copies). That way if anyone decides to adopt a rat in lite of your presentation they won't be going into it blind. I would include an "Important Things to Consider Before Adopting a Pet Rat," section.

this just gave me an idea. :)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
tomorrow's the day. i already know what i'm going to say, my friend's helping. today someone was like "eeeeww, rats are so gross, they carry diseases blah blah blah" i just said, "tomorrow, i'll let them run loose so you can get rabies and die from the plague" and she said "if they bite me i'll get a disease or something" and i said, "i'll let them bite you, and we'll see how fast you die" teehee...

i'm really excited, i cleaned their tails and clipped their nails and prepared their cage for tomorrow

·
Registered
43 Posts
Haha your lucky you get to bring your rats to school. I would probably be suspended if I did. The teachers and VP's and the Principal are total jerks anyways. I wish you the best of luck!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts