Rat Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Morning everyone! (8:55am GMT) :)

I just wondered if there are people on here who own cats and rats. My rats are kept in their own rat room although I would love to have them in the living room. The cats have free roam of the house when we're home but when we're at work etc they're shut out the living room to save my sofa from a good few scratch marks!

The cats now spend their days lurking outside the Rat Room door completely fascinated but I think it's making my one cats (Sanka) anxiety worse. Since having the rats he's suffered Cystitis 2x which the vet predicted would be from the stress of having a new animals in the house.

Do people with C's & R's let the cats see the rats? Do you have the rats in a communal area and if so, how are the cats? How do the rats react?

I just need some advice on the whole situation. Thanks guys. x

·
Registered
479 Posts
Ours don't get shut away from the cats. Atm the cats arn't allowed in two rooms, the guinea pig room and my room but that has nothing to do with the rats. We plan on moving our girls into what will be our living room so the cats will be aroun them a lot. But it is the only place besides what will soon be the rabbit room that can fit a Quad CN. And I trust the cats closer to the rats then the buns. Our boys will be in our room and I'm still trying to figure out a way to make sure the bunnies that will live up there can't snag a tail or the rats can't get into the buns. I don't let them play together but keeping them 100% apart seems to make both sides more amped up. It was that way with my guinea pigs till I let them out around the cats. Also, can you not put scratching posts or furniture near your couch? Locking a cat in or out of a room in my experience tends to make them misbehave more or have periods when they act up more then those allowed total free roam.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well when we lived at my F-I-Laws we had the same 2 cats and 3 ratty boys that we had previous to them. The cats just wouldn't let up about them and we ended up putting the cage in the dining room which was shut during the night so they couldn't harass them. Our house is rented and also a rather large 3 bedroom house, they get roam of the whole house bar the living room. Also, in the living room is scratch pads on ever door, a 6ft high cat scratch play tower thing and various other little scratch posts. Keeps them amused for a bit when we watch TV then I get the string out and play "attack mums ankles". They scratch up and climb up everything possible so I shut them out of there 12 midnight - 5pm.

I just really want to know if it's worth giving it a go or if it's going to stress my cat Sanka out again because next time he gets something urine related, he has to have an operation. So will it make the stress worse? Also the lads are a bit nervous still so will it make them worse too? They're in a SRS so it's not like the cage will be on a table or anything. My only worry is the cats climbing the cage.

·
Registered
955 Posts
When I was 17 and still living with my folks I had two female rats, and two siamese. The cats and rats would sit nose to nose sniffing each other through the bars. Sometimes my cats would jump on top of the cage, which they would get a telling off for, but the rats never showed fear, and would climb up to get a better spot for sniffing. We all lived together without incident to be honest. Only time the cats got shut out was during freerange.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
See that gives me hope. I'm thinking the rats would get more used to sounds etc and would see us more (we use the living room all night until 11-12ish when we go bed) and it'd calm the cats down wanting to see whats in that room so bad. I might buy some of that Feliway plug in to put in the hallway so hopefully it'll calm my cats for the first couple weeks the rats are in the living room. My OH is just worried about the smell, the more I use fleece, the more I wish I didn't!! I stank the whole house out Saturday with the smell of white vinegar haha!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Feliway is great - made such a difference when my parents adopted their current two older cats.
I use vinegar in a spray bottle and just chuck the fleece in the machine and give everything a good spritz. But to be honest I've only just started using vinigar, and I found my fleece wasn't smelling bad with just a regular detergent wash.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was like a washer woman with my vinegar haha! And whilst they were soaking I thought "might as well clean the windows whilst I'm here". I must of smelt like a chippy! See my fleece gets so smelly! I was told not to change them too often or they'll go mad and scent everything so I do it every 5/6th day. I spot clean every day and I babywipe my rats to make sure it's not just them stinking the place up! I do admittedly need to get a couple pee rocks to see if that helps, Ben & Jerry are just getting the hang of the litter tray now but they all still pee wherever they so choose to! If I could get the smell down, I could tip my OH to having the rats in the living room.. After all, I did persuade her to let me have a 2ft and 4ft fish tank in there as well... Master of batting my eyelashes ha!
Going to have to invest in some Feliway then! Poor Sanka is on happy pills atm too! :(

·
Registered
955 Posts
I also use puppy pads under my fleece to absorb smells, but I have to clean all the fabric every other day anyway on account of my allergies, so maybe the smells never get a change to really marinate into the fabric :p I'm trying to ease off my cleaning routine as its a real time drain, but I'm paranoid about smells too since I share my flat with another girl and I don't want to annoy her with rat stink.

The pee rocks are excellent. I got mine from the beach and they totally work. So much less pee elsewhere in the cage, and it helped with the litter training too. A soon as they wake up they run to the box, sit on top of the rock, have a wee groom and a wee and a poop. Its so cute that they have a little routine! I can tell they aren't peeing as much as the puppy pads show up any big puddles really clearly, and they have been almost untouched lately.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use puppy pads :) Get them from Home Bargains, £3 for 20 so! Can't complain really. The smell doesn't bother me that much because they have their own room currently so I only smell it when I go in there but my urge to move them to the living room is really pushing me to try get them less stinky!

Ooo I might go to an aqua shop, they tend to sell those large pebble stones for decoration in tanks so they might be my best bet! Either their or a garden centre/gardening shop! Rupert & Arthur are pretty good, they also go in their litter and pee about 60% of the time in the litter. Jerry & Ben are getting the hang of pooping but my god they pee everywhere! They pee when they're climbing the cage door to get out, poor sods below them end up having to be bathed!

·
Registered
955 Posts
Haha I swear mine do it on purpose to be naughty. One was climbing all over my book shelf, on top of my expensive animation book collection, where he knows he's not allowed. I went over and told him to come down - and he just looked at me and peed all over them! Wee sod - I swear it was like a cheeky teenage rebellion thing!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hahaha thats actually really cute!!! Bless his socks! I would swear though that although girls maybe more active and adventurous (not always ofc), boys just have this natural naughtiness about them! They get themselves into situations then when you help them, it's almost a "screw you mum" hahaha!

·
Registered
955 Posts
They are very cheeky. This is the same boy that found the brand new fluffy cat teaser I bought them and ripped it to smithereens. When I found him he ran for his life like he knew he had been a naughty bum. Also since he learned to spin for a treat, he appears in front of me from under furniture randomly and spontaneously spinning in circles. Wee dafties crack me up!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What an absolute cutie hahaha! My Jerry has an obsession with skirting board biting, I tell him so so he stops... moves about 2ft up and begins again! He does it around the whole room the little minx :) They are so clever and so naughty that its impossible not to love them!

·
Registered
737 Posts
no problem :) but i never leave my cats and rats alone nomatter how well they get along just in case

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh no, I don't even leave my cups on the side with my cats haha!! I'll plug a Feliway in and have a spray water bottle on hand! They'll be in the shut off living room anyways so they'll only have access when we're home :D

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I have 4 cats and have two fosters currently, sometimes i have more.

For the most part the cats ignore the rats. If the rats are being very active in the cage the cats will watch but besides that they leave them alone. My old rat Sookie hated the cats with a passion. She would attempt to attack them if they even got near the cage and once nipped a kitty on the nose when they got too close. The kitty learned her lesson for sure lol

Besides that I like to use a squirt bottle and teach them NO. if they are getting too close.

I wouldn't trust the cats with them outside of their cage in a million years though lol I once let the foster kitten meet Khaleesi and the kitten ran off scared as Khaleesi chased her. But the kitten was itty bitty young still on a bottle. Khaleesi isn't afraid of them.

I keep my cage in the bedroom the door is open though the cats sometimes sleep in there on my bed. The cage is ontop of a dresser that the cats can not fit on with it. So that helps them leave it be too. Another reason I like my Martins over the CN, I was always afraid a tail would slip out and the cats wouldnt be able to resist getting it.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have 4 cats and have two fosters currently, sometimes i have more.

For the most part the cats ignore the rats. If the rats are being very active in the cage the cats will watch but besides that they leave them alone. My old rat Sookie hated the cats with a passion. She would attempt to attack them if they even got near the cage and once nipped a kitty on the nose when they got too close. The kitty learned her lesson for sure lol

Besides that I like to use a squirt bottle and teach them NO. if they are getting too close.

I wouldn't trust the cats with them outside of their cage in a million years though lol I once let the foster kitten meet Khaleesi and the kitten ran off scared as Khaleesi chased her. But the kitten was itty bitty young still on a bottle. Khaleesi isn't afraid of them.

I keep my cage in the bedroom the door is open though the cats sometimes sleep in there on my bed. The cage is ontop of a dresser that the cats can not fit on with it. So that helps them leave it be too. Another reason I like my Martins over the CN, I was always afraid a tail would slip out and the cats wouldnt be able to resist getting it.
Oh thats good then!!! Oh the cats will never be around when the rats are out, I've seen how they massacred the mouse toy their "nan" bought around for them! Although I do think their hunting instinct is curbed as they are indoor cats, they seem less bothered by things! My little boy, Noel, ran from a fly... Yep..

Definitely going to do the water bottle :D Thank you so much!! I do worry about their tails on the bottom/front of the SRS though... May look into buying a metal pan with high sides.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts