Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have two sisters, Mochi and Boba. When I play with them, they will often start doing weird things such as having sneeze attacks, wheezing, their eyes bulging and grinding their teeth. I would like to know if some of these things are normal or if they should be checked out. Thanks!

·
Registered
335 Posts
The bulging and grinding is normal; it's called boggling and bruxing on here. It's actually a sign of happiness or of frustration, depending on the situation. But if they're just sitting around or cuddling, or playing, it means they're happy.
As for the sneezing, if it's machine-gun sneezing it could be allergies from dust where they're playing. The wheezing is a little more concerning--if they're doing it all the time you might want to get it looked at, because it could be the beginnings of the respiratory infection, which is common in rats. Pick them up and put your ear to their chest or back and listen--if you hear popping or crackling noises when they breathe, then you should probably take them to a vet. If it all sounds clear, I would just keep an eye on them because it could be allergies.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! This was a great help. When I look up the situation on different websites I always tend to self-diagnose my rats! They haven't been wheezing lately, and I am hoping that it is just allergies. My family took Boba to the vet to get a tumor removed and it ended up costing much more than we expected. I'm hoping that they don't have a respiratory infection, however if they do, would it be easy to get rid of with a few doses of medication?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts